Thread: Mounting tissue - what and where to buy in Europe

Mounting tissue - what and where to buy in Europe

I am looking for advice about mounting my darkroom prints. I don't own or have access to any hot press, most of the times I am trying to flatten my prints under load of books, but once they are matted in a simple passepartout (attached to it only by corners) they tend to develop curly-ish edges and such.
    Therefore I was looking to a way to attach the print to the mat-board completely - on the whole surface of the print. I read about dry mounting using mounting tissue and hot press (and simplified substitutes such as iron, but in the end I was unable to find any dry mounting tissue anywhere round these parts...

What do other people round here use for mounting prints flat? I've seen some self-adhesive tissues - are they OK?

I'd be very thankful for all tips and suggestions.
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Re: Mounting tissue - what and where to buy in Europe

I used to get mine from Lion Picture framing in Biormingham, UK. The newer tissues are designed for RC papers as well as fibre based and don't need such a hot temperature, you can get away with using an iron. They will export.

Ian

I'd say go with whoever can sell you Bienfang Colormount, as this tissue seems easiest to work when using a mechanical press, and typical rag mount board. Ian's suggestion of Lion is a good one, see the tissues here: http://www.lionpic.co.uk/equipment-t.../bienfang.aspx

If you go with the easily obtainable alternative in UK/Ireland, that is Unimount, bear in mind that this Hotpress-made tissue is designed to work with vacuum presses, and you may be fighting it hard to succeed with a mechanical one or an iron. This has been confirmed to me by the manufacturer. It has to do with inherent moisture content of what we use as mount board.

Have a look, also, at my thread, http://www.apug.org/forums/forum46/8...ounting-3.html, describing my nearly 2 years of fighting mounting problems... Since I switched to Colormount, and since I started using Anne Larsen's approach I have never had issues. Feel free to ask questions, as mounting can be a bit of a black art...
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Ian, Rafal, thank you for your advice - I managed to find a framing company that was willing to sell me samples of both self-adhesive mounting tissue as well as low-temp melting dry mount tissue - I do not know what brant/make it is but I have something to experiment with now. Will report progress.
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.