Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Squeegee or not to squeegee

To Squeegee or not to squeegee

To Squeegee or not to squeegee using hardening fixer, and photo-flo for one minute? I allways ran 35mm between my index and middle finger. What about 4x5? I hang film in a humid bathroom to dry. What do most of you do as far as Squeegeing on a piece of plexi-glass? (1) This is a hard time of year in the northeast for dust, and static! (2) The sooner I can get the majority of the water off the better. (3) Possibility of scratching when I use the squeegee.

I squeegy (sp) my 35mm with a film squeegy. For 4x5 I just let them hang dry. Up here in Alberta it's real dry so it doesn't take long. No problem with dust etc.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

For 35mm & 120, I wet my index and middle finger and gently wipe the film down. I just hang sheet film to dry.

For 4x5, just hang it. No squeegee.

Bruce Watson

Octogenarian

Hi Dan,

After washing 4X5 sheet film, run it through a tray of distilled water, to which a few drops of a wetting agent has been added. Then, hang each sheet of film by the corner that has the code notch. Use a film clip, clothes pin, etc. After a few seconds. a drop of water will form at the opposite bottom corner. Carefully, very gently, brush the water droplet away with your finger. Do not touch the film again until it is dry. Once dried, place the sheet of film into a protective clear mylar, or poly, envelope. It is not necessary use a squeegee and run the risk of leaving small scratches on the soft, wet film. Make certain that the film is hung to dry in a dust free area. Allow it to dry slowly. Do not force it to dry with heat or blowing air.

multiplex

no hardened fix - no squeegee just hang'em.

I just hang all film to dry and never use a hardening fixer. A few drops of photo-flo in tap water works just fine in my house. I also don't have dust issues. On sheet film I do soak up the drop at the corner with a paper towel. Just touch the towel to the edge and it will wick up most of the water. This speeds up the drying greatly.

Squeegee-ing (how does one make a gerund out of "squeegee" anyway?) has always made me nervous. I've never had a problem not doing it, so I guess I don't see any point risking scratches by doing it.

You won't use a squeegee after you scratch a neg. I use the mix suggested by R. Knoppow on usenet:

Distilled water
    1/2 normal amount Photo-Flo
    25ml per 1L Isopropyl alcohol
    Hang to dry

I do this in the bathroom where I have run the hot water knocking out the dust from the air.
    I have never seen cleaner negs. Try it.

Dan, I use 5 baths of distilled water for the wash. No photo-flo, etc. I hang my negs without wiping or touching the film surface at all.

Negs come out perfect, no scratches, chemical residue, or soap bubles.