Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sell my Tachi for a Chamonix 45n2?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just Getting Started

Sell my Tachi for a Chamonix 45n2?

I have a super nice Tachihara (almost, if not, mint) that I really like. The downside for me is that it's a bit flashy and draws attention. I'm also not a huge fan of the short bellows and the inability to swap them out. I got a good deal on it about 2 years ago and am thinking about selling it and buying the Chamonix 45n2. I'm a tech guy and that camera, it's features aside, makes me a bit giddy with the beautiful hardware. I really enjoy the lightness of the Tachi and it's ability to stay set regardless of any fiddling I do after focus (I added the plastic spacers under all the knobs). That said, how much heavier / bulkier does the Chamonix feel? I can read the actual specs, and I have, but numbers don't always relate to real life. Any thoughts for and against such a decision are welcomed. I assume I can get about $550 for the Tachi. Am I off there?

Thanks in advance,
    -Bill

Re: Sell my Tachi for a Chamonix 45n2?

I have not used a Tachihara personally, but I would bet the Chamonix is much more rigid and probably no more bulkier or heavier. I'd have to look up the specs on the Tachi but the Chamonix is less than 3lb! What more do you want?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Don't start down THAT path.
    Your first line tells the REAL story: "I have a super nice Tachihara that I really like." Keep it!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Just Getting Started

I appreciate the warning Bill, but I plan to keep the Tachi until I'm sure the Chamonix is the right choice. Only after I'm sure will I sell it. I have had a number of occasions over the past 6 months where the limited bellows has been a big problem. So, while I do really like the camera, it's beginning to be a limiting factor in a couple of my favorite projects. I'm making the decision for a reason, not just because I'm bored. I'm more curious with anyone who has owned a Chamonix and had particular issues I should take in to consideration.

After reading my original post, I realized that I left this out even though it was in my mind the entire time. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by wallrat View Post
    I have had a number of occasions over the past 6 months where the limited bellows has been a big problem.
    Just how much of a limitation has it been? There is such thing as a "top-hat" lens board that will give you about 1.5" extra extension.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

any kind of view-field camera is going to draw attention, this is the digital age and if you have something that looks old it will draw attention. Ive had my shen hao now for about 3 years, i bought it brand new from badger. 2 days after i bought it i took it out for a shoot, first person that saw it came up to me "that is a really nice camera" I replied " thanks" he said in return "is that from like the turn of the century?"
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

This video shows the features and live operation of the Chamonix. It will give you a sense of the usability and workflow.

The video points out that some of the controls are shared to save weight. For example, front rise and tilt are controlled by loosening one set of knobs. You may or may not care.

Light weight aside, the core value proposition of field cameras like the Chamonix (in my humble opinion) is generous bellows draw. I went from a Tachihara to a Wisner Technical Field, which (like the Canham DLC and Chamonix) gives enough to accommodate a 450mm standard lens like the Fujinon C or Nikkor M, and to shoot at 1:1 with a 210mm lens.

Unlike the Chamonix, the Wisner and Canham do not require (temporary) addition of an extension rail: they just rack all the way out. Depending on how you work, that may or may not matter.

I sold the Wisner and got a Tachihara again, in spite of the more limited bellows draw. Why ? Because technical matters aside, I had noticeably better luck with the Tachihara

Here are my two cents.
    I own a Chamonix 45N-2 (45N) and I own a Wista 45DX (45DX) (very close to the Tachihara) that I just used exclusively for 2 weeks in France.

45Dx
    Faster/Easier to setup than 45N, Small lens stay on. This is important to me when travelling and a big plus.
    Realisticaly takes only up to 210mm maybe 240mm pushing it. I missed my 300mm.
    Definitly not has rigid than the 45N. Windy days in Provence were not the best...

45N
    Rigid and solidly built. Take 300mm without any qualm.
    My only gripe - I hate having to screw the front standard every time I setup. I prefer the folding standard of the 45DX with marks on the bed for each focal lenght at infinity.

So in summary the built and rigidity of the Chamonix is better in my view than the Wista. The price to pay is for me a more awkard setup and adjutments of the standards.
    In terms of "photographic" capability the Chamonix offers more. In terms of ease of use the Wista is better (IMHO).

I have both and will keep both. The Wista stays in France (where I go every year to visit the family) and will make the yearly round of the small villages, castles and town with me. The Chamonix stays in Canada for the great outdoors.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Quote Originally Posted by lbenac View Post
    45Dx
    Faster/Easier to setup than 45N, Small lens stay on. This is important to me when travelling and a big plus.
    Realisticaly takes only up to 210mm maybe 240mm pushing it. I missed my 300mm...
    Bonjour Luc,

I use a 300mm Nikkor M on my Wista DX all the time with a top-hat (extended) lensboard. I made mine myself, but you can find them easily. Mine has about 50mm of extension and lets me focus down to about 3m or less with the 300mm.

I have a Zone VI that takes up to 450mm, but carry my DX most of the time for the reasons you mentioned; lightweight, compact and a small lens will fold up inside it.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Bonjour Luc,

I use a 300mm Nikkor M on my Wista DX all the time with a top-hat (extended) lensboard. I made mine myself, but you can find them easily. Mine has about 50mm of extension and lets me focus down to about 3m or less with the 300mm.

I have a Zone VI that takes up to 450mm, but carry my DX most of the time for the reasons you mentioned; lightweight, compact and a small lens will fold up inside it.

Best,

Doremus
    Hello Doremus,

That is good to know - thanks.
    My Dx has some mileage and might have lost some of its rigidity during the years (it is a KEH bargain - really a bargain at $380 :-) ) but I will consider this next year when I go back to France.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II