Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: What are you replacing Efke 25 with?

Lachlan 717

Re: What are you replacing Efke 25 with?

The main reason that I liked Efke 25 is for use with barrel lenses that I was shooting wide open.

As I mentioned earlier, chucking a 3 stop ND on the front and shooting 100 should still work.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

3D-Stereo-Aeropanoramas

Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    Regarding the mentioned Wephota NP15, I have recieved this reply from Mr. Grohmann, head of photographic materials at b&g (Wephota):

So it is NOT Efke 25 and was not made by Fotokemika, It is a former ORWO emulsion made today by a German company. And I was told they plan to make it at least in 2013. If anyone is interested in the technical sheets, PM me and I'll send it to you.
    NP was the very name of the old Orwo B+W films.
    Btw: the polish counterparts were called Foton.
    I was shooting ORWO CT18 when visiting my former country.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

This Russian "Type 88 K-25" aerospace film is supposedly "a very good technical slow speed film": http://www.tasma.ru/en/products/21/50/
    Not wanting to unduly stir internet rumours: Anyone out there with actual experience with it? cheers!
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

retrogrouchy

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Wolff View Post
    This Russian "Type 88 K-25" aerospace film is supposedly "a very good technical slow speed film": http://www.tasma.ru/en/products/21/50/
    Not wanting to unduly stir internet rumours: Anyone out there with actual experience with it? cheers!
    Hopefully you don't have to buy a 42cm * 1.3km roll of it though! Actual experience be damned, where do you buy it in "I'm not the Kremlin" volumes?

Should work, but I'm not looking forward to loading another device on my 4x5 after the brass petzval and packard shutter..... it will really look like a Rube Goldberg...

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    The main reason that I liked Efke 25 is for use with barrel lenses that I was shooting wide open.

As I mentioned earlier, chucking a 3 stop ND on the front and shooting 100 should still work.
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Coming late to this discussion (my stock of original AGFA APX 25 is non-empty, but in 120 rolls only), since ADOX CMS 20 has been mentioned, the official ADOX web page mentions CMS 20 as available in 4x5" sheets.
    http://www.adox.de/english/ADOX%20Fi...CMS_Films.html

However, I would not consider this film as a replacement to classical ISO 25 films like AGFA APX 25.
    To the best of my knowledge, this film is a kind of a microfilm needing a very special developer. The spectral sensitiviy is said to be 'orthopanchromatic', which I understand as: not panchromatic, hence somewhat blind in the red

But, yes, when you follow the recommended process (and pay for the very special chemistry) you are sure that no taking lens can pass all the resolution of this film, nor any enlarging lens nor any scanner can extract the grain of this film resolving 800 cy/mm (20,000 cy/inch, to be scanned at 40,000 samples per inch, not less, in order to retain full resolution) according to the manufacturer's specs ! This leaves digital imaging in the dust

http://www.adox.de/CMS20_ADOTECHII_instructions.pdf

The good news are that this film is freshly coated.
    The other good news is that fresh microfilm is currently being coated (among others, by Agfa-Gevaert, Mortsel, Belgium) due to the demand for a long term achival solution for digital data.
    Guess what is an attractive long-term digital archival medium? Silver halide stuff ! Probably those digital data are stored as miniature checkerboard patterns, not as analogue documents on microfilm!

StayAtHome Dad & Photog

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Pan-F in 4x5 would be a wonderful, wonderful thing, and I'm gonna keep saying it until they notice and coat some

I do realise the base thickness difference and market-size issues here, but I'd prefer Pan-F over FP4 in sheet sizes.
    Gah, I'd be ecstatic if there were Pan F in 5x7... Ok, back to lurk mode...
    4x5 and a Tessar is heaven
    "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies..." Green Day

I've been looking at getting a box of wephota plana-25. Has anyone tried this film?

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post

Alas, with large soft focus lenses, there are no filters large enough... I still need ISO 25 sheet film!

Quote Originally Posted by russyoung View Post
    Alas, with large soft focus lenses, there are no filters large enough... I still need ISO 25 sheet film!
    How big are we talking here? B&H lists circular ones up to 6" and rectangular ones up to 6.6"x6.6". You'd need to buy or make an appropriate holder, though.

That's for ND 3 stop filters as mentioned here. You'd actually need a two stop filter to drop 100 to 25, but if you shot the nominal 25 speed film at 12.5 and the nominal 100 at box speed three stops would be right.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...357+4242329435