Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar

Questions about 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar

By the way, I received an email from one of the biggest sellers of large format lenses on eBay. He was concerned and wanted to know if he had sold the lens to me. Without mentioning his eBay seller's handle, I will say that he is also known for writing some of the most informative and entertaining eBay ads. Just so everyone knows, I did NOT buy the lens from him and the fact that he contacted me to express concern indicates to me that he is a class-act and someone I want to deal with.

I bought the lens with an 8x10" camera from someone who was making their first eBay sale. I don't think the guy lied to me. He had only used the camera itself a few times and I think it was just sitting on a tripod as an ornament, judging by the dust that had collected on the bed, etc. The lens had probably been just sitting too. He may have tested the shutter by just operating it with the lever. It works fine that way. On the other hand, the camera was far better than he described it. He did mention that it had been restored by Patrick Alt who I contacted before bidding. Patrick confirmed that he had indeed restored the camera and that it was far nicer than the seller indicated and that the pictures on eBay did not do it justice. That turned out to be true. The seller could have really talked up the camera but he didn't. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and just assuming that he wasn't aware of the shutter problem. As I said, I would have probably sent it out for a CLA anyway. The work will just be a little more involved and expensive now. The glass itself is beautiful.

Re: Questions about 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar

Wow, an older thread but I recognize some of the members as being still active. I have a 14" and just looked at the front and noticed the letters RC so mine is a 1951 too.

In regards the shutter on your Commercial Ektar 14" lens. If it is like mine, there is a lever you move (left or right) to open the shutter blades. It does not open the Iris, which you have to do manually. You do not have to do the "T" or "B" thing to focus. This lever is on top of the shutter, if you have it mounted so the aperture scale is on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    In regards the shutter on your Commercial Ektar 14" lens. If it is like mine, there is a lever you move (left or right) to open the shutter blades. It does not open the Iris, which you have to do manually. You do not have to do the "T" or "B" thing to focus. This lever is on top of the shutter, if you have it mounted so the aperture scale is on the bottom.

Gene, check the date of this discussion...
    Amund

I reopened it because I saw the lens dating code. Sorry if it caused any problems.
    tr

I have the same lens/shutter combo. Standard 72mm screw in filters, front and rear. Regular 72mm lens caps fit, too. Try a long throw cable release and see if that helps. That's what mine takes. If the throw isn't quite long enough, it will cause you grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Amund BLix Aaeng View Post
    Gene, check the date of this discussion...
    I know, I can see the date. I did not see this particular question answered though. Ektars are timeless. The discussion could go on for years.