Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good (used) 4x5 in 2012

Re: Good (used) 4x5 in 2012

Yeah, I keep seeing used prices for Chamonix 4x5's creeping UP, closer and closer to the new price! I paid less for the one I have, having never been used really, than some listings I've seen in damaged condition. Strange.

Perhaps they should ramp up their production and cut the prices a bit, they might just be on the wrong side of the curve of supply/demand.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Yeah, I keep seeing used prices for Chamonix 4x5's creeping UP, closer and closer to the new price! I paid less for the one I have, having never been used really, than some listings I've seen in damaged condition. Strange.

Perhaps they should ramp up their production and cut the prices a bit, they might just be on the wrong side of the curve of supply/demand.
    That's a good part of the equation. However, I think demand is going up... high and fast. Many may see the film situation being a sort of "last chance" to get into LF. My experience in selling LF gear on eBay has been fast and furious. Prices are up, and most are not waiting out the auctions, but picking up my BIN prices. Those who peck away at the reserve to "blow out" my BIN prices, are watching the auction price go somewhat over the BIN. Crazy, but I don't mind. So many can't recognize a good or fair BIN when they see it. So let them eat cake and pay higher prices. It's simply business for me.

The other interesting aspect is that almost ALL of my LF sales are International... heavy emphasis on Federation of Russia and FSU countries. Some to the Pacific Rim. Hardly anybody is buying in the US. Could be not willing to step up to where the market is heading on prices. I just got a feedback on a Shen to Australia and the buyer was profusely ecstatic on his feedback.

Yep, lots of int'l sales here too.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    I haven't heard the word 'agricultural' used in reference to a camera. Just curious, but exactly what is your meaning, here.
    Meaning rudimentary. Rough. Lacking finesse.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Regarding Chamonix "busy-ness" on the back - having now owned one for a bit, I have come to appreciate its many features, especially the back "BS".

It has back tilt, but includes two little metal sliding latches that create a barrier precisely at the vertical. So it is dead simple to find that important position. Same with the front, two sliding metal latches lock the vertical plane. No guesswork, and can be done without even looking.

The back mechanism allows focusing via the back standard, which can be very useful when you are doing macro work. I also find it useful when doing normal focusing under the dark cloth. I can slide the back standard for gross focusing, and then use the knob for fine tuning the focus while looking through the loupe. And it is nice that the knob is self locking - once focused, it stays focused.

But more importantly, and it took me a while to learn this, the back standard can be slid quite far forward, by loosening the knobs located underneath the base plate. By moving the rear standard to its forward most position, and then mounting the front standard in the third hole, ultra wide angle lenses can be mounted with no fear that the base plate will be visible in the image.

The one thing missing from the Chamonix is an owner's manual. Using one is initially a voyage of discovery. But once mastered, it is a dream of a camera. It is extremely rigid, even when extended, supporting lenses >300mm without a hitch.

I loved my previous camera, a Wista, for its convenience - especially the ability to fold it with my 135mm lens mounted. Considering the features in totality, and the rigidity, beauty, and lightness of the Chamonix, I don't look back. (I still own the Wista, but haven't pulled it out recently).