Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good (used) 4x5 in 2012

Good (used) 4x5 in 2012

Yes, I know these cameras have not changed much in the last 100 years :-)

Anyway, I am having so much fun with my Shenhao 617 that I am thinking about getting a 4x5.

Lightweight is important, but it also should be sturdy. The Shenhao PTB617 is only 1.5 kg. I doubt too many 4x5 are that light, but closest to that would be nice.

The Shenhao 617 locking mechanism can be .. better. Not sure whether their 4x5s are better in that regard or not.

I am not using too much movements yet. Mainly rise, but I am sure I want tilt. Folding is not important.

Bellow draw from 90mm to ~350mm is probably sufficient.

Cost is a consideration.

Recommendations? Thanks!
    Last edited by richardman; 18-Nov-2012 at 03:12.

Re: Good (used) 4x5 in 2012

I'm currently really eyeing the Chamonix 045N-2, which is actually lighter than your Shenhao..at least, without the lens, at 1.38kg

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/45.html

Wow, that does look very good! Thanks!

Maybe a Toyo 45AX/AII or CX? It's an amazing camera.

Chamonix 45n-2 is really amazing.

Canham DLC, which shows up with some regularity on the used market. Swings, tilts and shifts on the front and rear - you'll want most of those eventually. Reasonably lightweight, but sturdy. I've shot with lenses from 65mm - 450mm with the standard bellows.

People discuss issues with the lockdown and weak detents, but with care, wonderful photographs can made with this camera (just like most any other, frankly).

Finally, you'll be dealing with Keith Canham, who provides some of the best aftermarket care around.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

why not the shen hao ptb45? they are very light.
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Another vote for a Toyo 45A/AII. I have the AII and the more I use it the more I like it. It is solid, versatile, easy to use and gets the job done well. They come up for sale reasonably often, and have a nice array of accessories. Not the lightest camera, but also not the heaviest.

Ron Miller

Hey Richard,

We just had an email exchange this week about my interest in a 6x17 Shen Hao. Well, I'll throw my 2 cents in for the Chamonix 4x5. I had the 1st version until a mishap and have had the 2nd version for a few years now. For a field camera it fits the bill; light, folds compact. I use from 90mm to 305mm lenses. Like I mentioned to you in our emails, the front standard locking is adequate but can move when you try to attach filters after focusing. I now hold my filters infront on the lens. As for a studio camera, my Sinar F2 is just about perfect. I actually tried one winter to use it as my field camera but it's a bit too heavy and lanky for that unless you break it down in the backpack.

Okay, maybe that was 3 cents worth of opinions.

Welcome to 4x5.

Ron

Preston Birdwell

Another vote for Chamonix 045N-2. I've had mine for about a year and consider it a bargain even if purchased new.

If you plan to use lenses longer than about 360mm, you will need the extension board (look under 'Accessories' on the Chamonix site). A new one costs $122.

I also used a Tachihara wood field 4x5 for many years. They are compact and light--about 3 lb.. They are not as rigid as the Chamonix or Canham, but are a nice camera. If you look at used ones, be sure the locking levers really lock things down as they tend to get a little sloppy after long use.

--P
    Last edited by Preston; 18-Nov-2012 at 09:56. Reason: Added Tachi Info
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."