Thread: Color imaging dye stability tests are complete

Color imaging dye stability tests are complete

Color imaging dye stability tests are complete. You can view results here:

http://slackercruster-tests.tumblr.com/

Eastman Kodak's fabled dye transfer print comes in near the bottom. Very poor showing. Would have posted the results to the Yahoo Dye Transfer group...but Ctein got them to ban me.

Fuji, you are to be commended. Your Crystal Archive paper has shown to be the finest Type C color paper ever made for dye stability.

slackercruster

PS: I was hesitant about coming back here to post the results. I was run out of this group from the closed minded members and abusive mods. During my short stay here I was treated very poorly.

But...I did promise you the results of the dye stability tests. And personal prejudices aside, I have kept my promise to you...Semper Fidelis

Re: Color imaging dye stability tests are complete

Quote Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
    Color imaging dye stability tests are complete. You can view results here:

http://slackercruster-tests.tumblr.com/

Eastman Kodak's fabled dye transfer print comes in near the bottom. Very poor showing. Would have posted the results to the Yahoo Dye Transfer group...but Ctein got them to ban me.

Fuji, you are to be commended. Your Crystal Archive paper has shown to be the finest Type C color paper ever made for dye stability.

slackercruster

PS: I was hesitant about coming back here to post the results. I was run out of this group from the closed minded members and abusive mods. During my short stay here I was treated very poorly.

But...I did promise you the results of the dye stability tests. And personal prejudices aside, I have kept my promise to you...Semper Fidelis
    you know that there are 3 forms of fade/shift?

Bob and the rest of us from those halcyon days did.

marfa -- alone star --

Quote Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
    Eastman Kodak's fabled dye transfer print comes in near the bottom.
    We should accept your opinions as opposed to those of countless users and viewers over several decades for what reason?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Drew Wiley

I can make almost any color photo medium fade in a less than a week, even the ones that
    might remain vibrant for a lifetime under sensible care.

This is really interesting. What surprises me is the stability of some of the inkjet prints.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    This is really interesting. What surprises me is the stability of some of the inkjet prints.
    Actually i was not surprised at the stability of inkjet.... Epson inkjets.... i have done my own tests and found that the claims by epson are really good. Of course i would not be around in a hundred years. Full sun exposure with glass and without is very surprising to me after 3 years on my porch.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Oooooh, tough crowd! Breaking Tiffen filters against the chair legs already!

Come on, guys, take a look at the results before trying to hang him from a tall tripod. It's a pretty basic test, and I wouldn't say that it's scientific, and it is a good indicator. I read a NYT article mentioning Mr. Wilhelm, and he indicated that fading numbers shouldn't be regarded as absolutes.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Drew Wiley

Basically, this all has to be taken with a grain of salt. The test parameters were hardly objective, and starting with old photographs in the first place, and comparing them to
    modern samples, is hardly fair. For those of us who have decades of dealing with this kind
    of issue under real-world parameters, as well as for those who have attempted an actual
    science of dye and pigments, it's an extraordinarily simplistic level of testing. Might be fine
    per his personal objectives, but in the final analysis, testing things in either the direct UV
    of sunlight or an accelerated aging torture chamber is not going to give representative
    results comparable to real world storage and display. A little knowledge can be dangerous,
    as the saying goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Basically, this all has to be taken with a grain of salt. The test parameters were hardly objective, and starting with old photographs in the first place, and comparing them to
    modern samples, is hardly fair. For those of us who have decades of dealing with this kind
    of issue under real-world parameters, as well as for those who have attempted an actual
    science of dye and pigments, it's an extraordinarily simplistic level of testing. Might be fine
    per his personal objectives, but in the final analysis, testing things in either the direct UV
    of sunlight or an accelerated aging torture chamber is not going to give representative
    results comparable to real world storage and display. A little knowledge can be dangerous,
    as the saying goes...
    Wow, somebody other than myself has some actual experience with this stuff!

Cheers to you Drew!
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."