Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Re: What would you do?

You might tell him to get a job... That will really get him going.

Just curious - how did he find the picture of himself on your website? Does Mother Jones have a link?

I'd meet him for coffee and find out what this is about. I think that there might be a story here. If I had a friend who works for the Citizen, I might bring him/her along too, or at least have that possibility in mind as a follow-up.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Obviously he knew at the time you were taking his picture, he's looking right at the camera! So he posed for the photo, was in a public place, and signed a release - seems like you have his permission to use the photo of him.

However, I find his comment to be quite odd which would for me be a red flag. Is the photo significant or important enough to be worth going thru a potentially problematic situation? Doesn't seem like it would be worth it. Even if you're most likely in the right, it might be better to remove it (after reminding him about the signed release etc.) and move on. It may be something to consider too whether or not it would be necessary to report this to the local authorities.

I agree with Mr. Vintage Snaps. If you want to keep the image online - if you like it and feel it represents your photography, as opposed to keeping it online 'just because' - then I would politely respond to this chap that you understand his concerns but you won't be removing the image, and then deal with the repercussions. Otherwise, it might be worth taking down to save any hassles. Life is too short to be stubborn (not saying you are being).

Maybe he can afford a protracted legal wrangle (right or wrong) to try to get you to remove it. Can you and do you want to waste your money on that for a "point of honor"? Doesn't seem like it's worth it to me. Why don't you simply reply and ask him why he wants it off your site, tell him how proud you are of the image and how good both he and his friend look in it, and why you would like to keep it on line then see what his response is? Seems like it might be more fun to play with his head by trying to turn this into a positive and maybe even a friendship than taking as defensive a posture as he has.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I considered all of the above, but it's hard to start a meaningful dialogue when someone threatens right off the bat.
    I'd take it down if there was an important reason, and I was approached more politely.
    Yes, but he's a social misfit. You are not. An e-mail doesn't cost you anything and it will clear the way to a decision for you.

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    You might tell him to get a job... That will really get him going.

Just curious - how did he find the picture of himself on your website? Does Mother Jones have a link?
    I gave my website address to the Occupy "organizer" when I was shooting there, and he passed it online.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I'd meet him for coffee and find out what this is about. I think that there might be a story here. If I had a friend who works for the Citizen, I might bring him/her along too, or at least have that possibility in mind as a follow-up.
    So far, he hasn't replied to my email, but the situation is perhaps worth a second look.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Yes, but he's a social misfit. You are not.

--Darin
    Thank you, Darin; some may disagree with that statement, though.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagesnaps View Post
    Obviously he knew at the time you were taking his picture, he's looking right at the camera! So he posed for the photo, was in a public place, and signed a release - seems like you have his permission to use the photo of him.

However, I find his comment to be quite odd which would for me be a red flag. Is the photo significant or important enough to be worth going thru a potentially problematic situation? Doesn't seem like it would be worth it. Even if you're most likely in the right, it might be better to remove it (after reminding him about the signed release etc.) and move on. It may be something to consider too whether or not it would be necessary to report this to the local authorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    I agree with Mr. Vintage Snaps. If you want to keep the image online - if you like it and feel it represents your photography, as opposed to keeping it online 'just because' - then I would politely respond to this chap that you understand his concerns but you won't be removing the image, and then deal with the repercussions. Otherwise, it might be worth taking down to save any hassles. Life is too short to be stubborn (not saying you are being).
    Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Maybe he can afford a protracted legal wrangle (right or wrong) to try to get you to remove it. Can you and do you want to waste your money on that for a "point of honor"? Doesn't seem like it's worth it to me. Why don't you simply reply and ask him why he wants it off your site, tell him how proud you are of the image and how good both he and his friend look in it, and why you would like to keep it on line then see what his response is? Seems like it might be more fun to play with his head by trying to turn this into a positive and maybe even a friendship than taking as defensive a posture as he has.
    Is it worth it? Not in and of itself.
    But in my head, it's a form of censorship; I don't want to cave to anyone who doesn't like their photo after they gave me permission to shoot it and use it.
    If there is an important reason to remove it, I will do so, and with pleasure, but it won't be because someone's ego has been wounded.
    No, the photo does not necessarily represent my work, but it's a good piece of a larger idea, i.e. "it really ties the room together"

I can't please everybody, and I have to draw a line somewhere.

If you end up pulling the photo, make him reimburse you for film, processing, and your time. After all, you would not have taken the photo if he had not agreed to be photographed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post

Thank you, Darin; some may disagree with that statement, though.
    I'm not just talking about his appearance. His e-mail to you seems to confirms one's suspicions.

I've had several people ask to have their images and videos taken down--I also do a little amateur journalism. For example, local candidates for office who decide a year or two on that they want the old video, and whatever they said on that video, gone. I've always succeeded in calming them down by explaining to them the simple impossibility of the idea.

--Darin