Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anti-static Bags (aka "pink ziplocks")

Just Getting Started

Re: Anti-static Bags (aka "pink ziplocks")

Ah, yeah I see those now. Their site and choice of wording leaves a lot to be desired. Their price for 200 is about $42 which isn't so bad, but I can get another 300 for $20 more and sell them, ending up cheaper in the end. Their prices are much higher than even Uline, $70 more per 1000. The smaller quantities may have made it worth it had they sold 6x9's. The picture makes the bag look a lot cheaper made, but again it's hard to tell from a picture. It's all for not though since we want 6x9 for sure. 6x9 seems to be a rare size, only 2 of the dozen or so sites I've searched carry that size. I think I'm going with 4 mil 6x9's from Uline for $62 / 500. I'll sell off 200 of them @ $15 / 100 and end up with 300 bags for $30. That works well for me. Even if I never sell them, I'm ok, just hoping to help out others in the process. Again, thanks.

-Bill

No problem. Glad you found them. I usually buy in smaller quantities and shoot 5x7 and 8x10 so I don't have your odd size issue. The construction is quite good, and they are durable. Mine have gone for years, and the only damage is a couple of the large bags for 8x10 have a split seam.

Just Getting Started

That's excellent and great to know. I assume the use of them has had a noticeable effect on dust...or should I say "not noticeable"

-Bill

Perhaps I'm superstitious, but I have no dust on my negatives. This started after I began using the bags. I use 1 bag per holder, and they last forever.

Just Getting Started

That's what I like to hear. It's good to know they last a long time. I would like to eventually (after selling some off), end up with about 200 to 250 so I never have to order them again

I just ordered the 6x8" McMaster-Carr "Static Shielding" bags, item 4663T3 (http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/1557/=k6j44g), 25 for $9. I ordered them last night and they arrived this afternoon! A 4x5 holder just fits and seals, but a 6x10" (4663T4) would be easier to seal. I don't mind the extra effort to seal them, but if I were ordering again, I'd spend the extra 64 cents for the 10" ones. I can't fit two holders in one bag, which I think someone was asking about in this thread, but that's fine. They seem pretty well made and thick enough. I have 22 film holders that are good, so a bag of 25 was just right.

That website is dangerous! There are far too many nice things there!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

What kind of 4x5 holder "just fits and seals?" I'm thinking those are the usual Fidelity ones. The Riteways I have use a darkslide with a longer, protruding handle and measure almost exactly 8" from bottom to the top of the handle. So whether they'd fit literally depends on whether that is an inside or outside measurement, and even if it's inside I imagine they'd be unworkably tight.

Just Getting Started

Yeah, I have Fidelity Elites and Riteways and they don't fit in an 8" bag. I appreciate the responses. I'm going with the Uline's for $62 for 500. I'll sell 100 lots for $20 (vs $36 from McMaster-Carr) and end up with 200 free. I already have 100 sold to a friend so selling the final 200 should not be hard. Free for my trouble

Thanks again all, I am all good and I appreciate everyones input. If anyone would like to go in on the 1000 bag order from Uline (Roger or others), email me (billp <at> billpratt <dot> net) and I'll sell you 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 or 1/5 for the actual cost plus actual shipping. That comes out to $64 / 500, $42-ish for 333, $32 / 250, $25 for 200. I want to keep at least 200 so 5ths is as low as I'll go. I'll order and put up the money and since I'm in California, as is Uline, the shipping is cheap. I'll then just ship regular usps manilla envelope to you. I'll close the "ordering window" at the end of next week and order then.

Again, please email me. If you just post in this thread there is a good chance I won't see it.

Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone,
    -Bill
    Last edited by wallrat; 15-Nov-2012 at 19:25. Reason: spelling correction

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    What kind of 4x5 holder "just fits and seals?" I'm thinking those are the usual Fidelity ones. The Riteways I have use a darkslide with a longer, protruding handle and measure almost exactly 8" from bottom to the top of the handle. So whether they'd fit literally depends on whether that is an inside or outside measurement, and even if it's inside I imagine they'd be unworkably tight.
    Fidelity and Toyo, but the Fidelity fit a bit better.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Quote Originally Posted by drew.saunders View Post
    Fidelity and Toyo, but the Fidelity fit a bit better.
    Yeah, no way my Riteways would fit then.