Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: personal safety / security while photographing

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: personal safety / security while photographing

In some areas the gas stations are still robbing!

Expect to be hustled in every highway rest area. The typical ploy is a sad face telling you that they ran out of gas, are homeless, on the way to a job interview, ran over their dog accidentally, etc.. and are looking for a handout.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    This thread is really getting creepy.
    So is the world in general. You can't blithely go about doing what you were doing a few decades ago. Considerably more angst and risk out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    You can't blithely go about doing what you were doing a few decades ago. Considerably more angst and risk out there.
    That's what people were saying a few decades ago!

Steve.

Drew Wiley

I did have to warn some young folk backpacking in Pt Reyes a few months ago about the
    carnivorous deer and giant centipedes. They didn't have any actual backpacks, so
    were towing their stuff in wheeled picnic boxes. But they were quite interested in peeking
    thru my 8x10. Nice kids. I don't know if the deer ate them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    So is the world in general. You can't blithely go about doing what you were doing a few decades ago. Considerably more angst and risk out there.
    It might feel safer to stay home in bed (because the world is a bad place), but in fact more people die in beds than in hold-ups, shady campsites or wild animal incidents. I don't have any statistics on hand, but I'm sure that also more accidents happen at home than in secluded canyons, abandoned mining towns, or on crooked mountain trails. Of course, this excludes sports like skiing or mountain biking. Sports will most certainly get you killed.

:-)

Michael

Drew Wiley

Got a fellow my age here at work whose hobby is downhill rollerskating ... I mean steep dirt
    trails just like mtn biking. He's a pretty good photographer too. But he's been doing this for
    years with no injury. So he figured he could just step on his son's skateboard and coast
    partway down the cement sidewalk. Ended up with a full length leg cast. Reminds me of
    back when I was 17, and one day I climbed 22 running waterfalls in a row up a 3000 ft
    high canyon wall, unhurt. That evening went to a basketball game with my friends in the
    school gym - two of them tripped over each other and I went flying over them into the wall, broke a wrist and needed by head stitched. Like they say, when your number's up, it's up. Then there was the incident in Yosemite where some young hotshot was bragging
    in the Ahwahnee parking lot about just climbing Washinton Column with the rope around
    his neck, just as a tour bus came up from behind and ran over him, killing him.

Generally illegal to carry firearms on Indian Reservations. Not that it isn't a good idea but if you aren't a pistol person you won't turn into one overnight. (Though I suggest acquiring that skill. Firearms are MADE to help the smaller/older/weaker equal in force to the young/numerous/aggressive.) I never leave the car without a little pair of binocs and a water bottle. Cell phones keep you in constant touch. We could update facebook at Shiprock and the rim at Canyon de Chelly. Mostly, just be happy and go where you will.

Drew Wiley

Around here firearms are what the young/aggressive/stupid/and drugged are all packing.
    Flash a sidearm and a melee will break out, with about a 90% chance some innocent bystander will get killed. You're better off minding your own business, leaving the gun in
    Texas, and staying away from bad neighborhoods. But that doesn't just apply to inner cities - I've been out in the boonies where the last thing I'd want to have is a gun. I've run
    into stupid triggerhappy cops too. And mind you, I grew up with guns, so am not trying to make a political statement.

Use the weapon in between your ears and you will be fine. Millions of years of evolution will tell you if something isn't right. Listen to it.

Lots of paranoia here without a single incidence of someone being attacked out in the middle of nowhere. I have spent countless hours traveling out West without incident (knock on wood). Sure there are some dubious people, but there are dubious people everywhere.

The truth is if someone wants to hurt you they will. You can try to avoid situations where that could occur, but you can't completely avoid risk in the world. You are also more likely to die in a car accident getting to the middle of nowhere than be attacked by a stranger out in the middle of nowhere.

If you want to carry something take pepper spray or whatever else is like it. Even if you find yourself somewhere where it is illegal the cops won't care since you are a woman.

Most importantly, go out and enjoy yourself and live.

Over the years, I've had a couple of different jobs that required travelling through the Western U.S., staying at inexpensive motels, and shopping at truck stops.

A few things that might be helpful, from my experience:

-Motels: I always prefer a ground floor room where I can back my vehicle right up to the door. It's only a few steps from the car to room, so it's less likely someone will spy you carrying stuff across a lot. Avoid motels that appear to have "long-term guests," or cars that seem to be permanently parked in the lot.

-Stuff: Put all your camera gear bags, clothing bags, and tripods into a couple of basic, nondescript duffels... the more boring, the better. As others have written, specialized bags attract attention. Don't leave your stuff in the room unattended. Once you're back on the road, keep everything in the trunk, completely out of sight.

Vehicle: You mentioned you're considering renting a car. If this is still your plan, may I suggest you go for a mid-sized, basic American sedan, in white. If it's a truck or van you'll be driving, same thing: basic American model in white. Keep it clean and tidy, inside and out. The idea here is that, to the casual observer, you'll appear as though you are on some kind of mundane official business. Government and corporate employees drive "fleet" vehicles which almost always fit the above description.

As to travel off-road, I'll assume you'll apply common sense regarding the capabilities of your vehicle. If ever in doubt, remember that getting into a remote location can be easier than getting out. Always have more water on board than you think you'll need.

Dress: Same thing here- imagine you're going to work in some official capacity that happens to require time spent outdoors, perhaps a park ranger or utility worker. Basic jeans/khakis, polo or work shirt in earth tones, sensible outdoors-y shoes/boots in bland colors. No logos. Basic sunglasses and hat. If you have ink on your arms, wear long sleeves.

Essentially, you'll be employing the same strategies of many in the animal kingdom: blending into the world around them.

Two more things, and these are most important:

-Always park your car where you can see it.

-Never leave anything, not even a phone cord or spare change, in sight of someone walking by your unattended vehicle; such items only invite further speculation by thieves as to what treasures might lie under the seat, or in the glove box...

Best of luck.
    jbhogan