Hi all,

I'm planning an extended trip for the mid-term future, and plan to visit California, Nevada, probably Utah, the Four Corners region, and New Mexico. I already know that my mother will be absolutely sure that I'll be attacked, mugged, raped, killed, etc -- yes, I'm a bit of a mama's girl, but I'm her only chick so she does worry even though I'm middle-aged and I've been living on my own in a foreign country since 1999.

We lived in the West in the 70s and 80s, and my parents frequently went out into the backcountry to dig obsidian, thundereggs, and etc. So I did absorb all the rules about that as a kid. As a family, we have visited Bodie and Mono Lake, we've driven through Yosemite and large parts of Nevada, and my mother and I did some driving around in New Mexico, so they more or less know the areas I'd be in and what conditions were like when we visited.

So, does anyone have tips on personal security or safety while photographing alone with a LF camera? I already know:
- plan the drive, drive the plan, and stay in communication with "base camp" especially if the plan changes
- keep my phone charged, and keep the phone, car keys, and money in a safe pocket, not in my camera bag
- I try to keep my camera bag under the tripod so that it's always in front of me and harder for someone to walk away with.

I don't plan on camping, but staying in affordable hotels, and will be renting a car. But any other ideas on safety and security (and I'd really like to hear from other women around here!) that will reassure both me and my mother would be greatly appreciated.

E.