Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To Squeegee or not to squeegee

To Squeegee or not to squeegee

I squeegee 35mm and 2 1/4 film between the index and middle finger. I've tried to squeegee 4x5, but will opt for the distilled water approach. Most of my black and white work is sub-4x5 film.

Steve Anchelle, who wrote the Darkroom Cookbook, recommends dragging film over a single finger in a way that would cause water runoff. That is, pull film horizontally over finger as film hangs vertically down from finger towards floor. (That is, don't pull between two fingers.)

I mention Steve's approach, because it seems likely to cause less abrasion, if there's any foreign material on the film.

Don't use squeegee. It's not necessary if you use a wetting agent and it adds the possibility of damaging the film. Just hang it.

4 x 5 : photo-flo , hang them to dry . If you hang them by one corner , wipe off the excess water that builds up at the lower corner with the 2 fingers .

Thanks for all your input! I knew I shouldn't have been Squeegeeing (sp), but have been doing it anyhow. I'll try the alcohol! Why the no hardner in the fixer? I was told to use hardener, especially for large negatives. Sorry have not done a search on this one, always thought it was a given unless tonning. Thanks again, Dan

I used to squeegee 35 mm negatives... They improved a lot (dirt, etc) when I finally stopped doing so. I never did on 4x5 sheets.

I think that the hardener is pretty much useless nowadays - most emulsions are pre-hardened and another hardener doesn't add much.

If you ever need to use toner to intensify your negatives, a non-hardening fixer makes life easier.