Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: On the Forum's Value

Preston Birdwell

Re: On the Forum's Value

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    My deepest thanks to you for that decision and the moderators for their extraordinary efforts.
    I'll add my thanks, too.

I've learned a great deal here. So, my thanks to you all!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    Since the OP mentioned me, here's a few facts:

I don't participate anymore actively in this forum, nor do I shoot most of my work in LF, however I am posting here more than in all other forums combined.

I've talked personally to some of the most recognized photographers working today. They told me that at some point in their careers, they found the forum to be useful, even if they didn't post themselves.

I have been offered up to mid five figures for selling the site. I declined out of respect for the forum charter and the work of volunteer moderators.

QT, this seems like an appropriate time to thank you for making this forum possible over many years. I have learned a lot the last decade from the forum, made some friends, and tried to contribute from a historical perspective. I receive the occasional personal message of appreciation in that regard.

Perhaps the relevance of the forum has been somewhat cheapened by a plethora of ego driven contributors offering suspect factual information, and in some case, preferring battle to art. However, most likely, it will continue to provide a place for those seeking beneficial information, both technical and historical, while engaging in civil dialogue.

A handshake, also, to the moderators for a job well done.

Regards,
    Merg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    My real name is Cindy Sherman.

Like that's impossible. I'm Cindy Sherman. And oh, yeah, well, right, about my career. Well, like, I found out that there is good money in, like, color digital posters.

Both you Cindy's are not welcome here.

We all know you shoot Medium Format.

Begone!

I believe this forum has a great deal of merit and value.

Whenever I stumble into a roadblock or have an occasional head scratcher, the subscribers of this site usually help in a big way.

Unfortunately, as with any online forum, there are those who adopt a Holier-Than-Thou attitude.
    I feel that this serves only to promote their self-inflated egos and is not constructive in any manner.

However, if you scrape the scum off the top of the developer, most of the stuff underneath is still good.

Compared to a few other online forums, this one is golden...
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedGraphicMan View Post
    However, if you scrape the scum off the top of the developer, most of the stuff underneath is still good.
    Time to toss your developer, man.

This forum is very useful and there's really no substitute for its unique blend of shared wide ranging knowledge and focus on the artistic and literate aspects of photography. Anyone that floats around the various photography forums on the net knows that there's nothing else like this on the web, and credit is due to the mods and founder. You know who you are.

This thing is working pretty well and I'm thankful for it.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

It's interesting to note that Forum participation increased by at least 50% since this thread first appeared in November. In the years that I have been a member, participation ran about 50% of that on Aug. Now its running neck to neck with apug. For example there are 869 online on Aug and close to 700 on LF. Barring any evidence to the contrary, I'll have to take the credit for the sudden and spectacular increase.

But the Forum still lacks stimulating discussion on a regular basis: too many threads are still unbearably frivolous. Let's have more inspiring discussions on photography.

Thomas

On the Forum's Value

I would set up a requirement that an image be posted for every 5 posts, just to make sure it stays on topic.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Forums help out a lot, at least for me. I don't get all the answers, but I do get some. Sure, famous paople are too busy to do forums. But if the alternative is no forums, I'd rather stick with forums than not.