Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schneider lens defects, 800mm and 110mm XL

Schneider lens defects, 800mm and 110mm XL

So at first I thought I had condensation in my 80mm XL Symmar. So I put it in a dry box with a kilo of silica gel. After nearly a week of this no improvement. So then I thought maybe it's fungus. So I checked with Jeff at Badger graphic. Turns out that Schneider had an issue with the adhesive used on the 80mm XL and 110mm XL lenses. He says he's had about 50 cases of this and that Schneider refuses to take any responsibility and will only fix it at a cost of $1200. Suffice to say he no longer carries the XL lenses.

I have sked him to compile a list of those photographers affected and will attempt to see what can be done when a large group takes action against Schneider. Imports into the US are regulated in various ways and maybe a government agency can be of assistance. If anyone has had this type of issue with a Schneider lens please let me know.

In further conversation with Jeff, he also states that Rodenstock has far better QA than Schneider and that he has experienced many Schneider lenses having unacceptable QA issues right out of the box. All I can say is that one had better think twice before buying a Schneider lens....

Re: Schneider lens defects, 800mm and 110mm XL

Wow that sucks, but good to know for sure. Good luck with this.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Wow that sucks, but good to know for sure. Good luck with this.

^What Kirk said.^
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

That's a shame because I thought that Schneider was the last company left actively developing new large format lens (infrequently and more as "special editions" than any new technology but still more than the other lens companies).

Have you tested the lenses and have the images degraded since they were new? And as a practical, expedient solution, could the fellow at Focal Point clear them properly for a reasonable amount?

Since you are right around the corner from Schneider on Long Island have you asked them your self?

I've known about Schneider QA problems for years.

I don't own or use any Schneider lenses. Rodenstock forever!

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    ...I have sked him to compile a list of those photographers affected and will attempt to see what can be done when a large group takes action against Schneider. Imports into the US are regulated in various ways and maybe a government agency can be of assistance. If anyone has had this type of issue with a Schneider lens please let me know...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Since you are right around the corner from Schneider on Long Island have you asked them your self?
    As Bob probably knows, Badger is a gray market importer, so Schneider on Long Island would have no involvement in this matter. Any government agency being of assistance would need to take action against Badger, not Schneider on Long Island. I'm not sure whether said government agency has any purview over Schneider in Germany, the party ultimately responsible for your lens issues.

If a significant number of photographers respond about this issue, publicizing your situations might encourage Schneider in Germany to accept its responsibility. Given the large worldwide on-line photographic community today, a boycott could even be effective. I'm not an expert, but think that legal action across the Atlantic would be more difficult.

Schneider has not cured "Schneideritis" in all the years it's existed.

Why would they care about this or any other customer complaint?

Interestingly, here's a recently-revived 7-year-old thread about problems with the 80/4.5 XL.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-5-XL-problems

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    If a significant number of photographers respond about this issue, publicizing your situations might encourage Schneider in Germany to accept its responsibility.
    For grey market imports? Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...If a significant number of photographers respond about this issue, publicizing your situations might encourage Schneider in Germany to accept its responsibility...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    For grey market imports? Don't hold your breath...
    No, for Schneider's worldwide sales of these defective lenses, disregarding country sold or import channel. I've not heard anything about Schneider in the US making good on "officially imported" XL lenses with the same issue. If someone has, please correct me.