Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Schneider lens defects, 800mm and 110mm XL

Re: Schneider lens defects, 800mm and 110mm XL

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alpert View Post
    This kind of overstatement is not helpful.
    Your opinion... nothing more. You do not speak universal truths.

Company reputations depend on how good their products are, and their level of commitment to product quality.

The two problems discussed in this thread certainly call Schneider's commitment in that regard into question.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Strange how some people seem to have problems like this and others don't. I don't mean to suggest that people who own the lenses discussed here are doing anything wrong, rather that it seems to be the luck of the draw as to whether problems exist or not. I had the 80mm XL, never had a problem of any kind with it or any other Schneider lens I owned which included the 210 APO Symmar and numerous G Clarons.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I had the 80mm XL, never had a problem of any kind with it or any other Schneider lens I owned...
    That's likely true of the majority of owners.
    There are an awful lot of photographers who shoot Schneider lenses with great results.

The problems are certainly not with a high percentage of the lenses, only a few.
    But they do reflect on corporate management philosophy and priorities.
    If they don't correct the glaring problems, how many minor ones do they ignore?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    If they don't correct the glaring problems, how many minor ones do they ignore?
    As far as I remember, the XL separation issues were corrected after a year or two, and affected lenses exchanged under warranty. Things may be different with flawed grey market lenses appearing a full decade after the fact - while I'd be annoyed at any maker rejecting the responsibility for a legitimate product merely bought from an official distributor in the wrong country, grey market lenses might be more illegitimate than that (e.g. resurfaced lenses from the flawed batch which had been sold at a massive discount as disposable/short-lived for some destructive application like crash tests).

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    As far as I remember, the XL separation issues were corrected after a year or two, and affected lenses exchanged under warranty. Things may be different with flawed grey market lenses appearing a full decade after the fact - while I'd be annoyed at any maker rejecting the responsibility for a legitimate product merely bought from an official distributor in the wrong country, grey market lenses might be more illegitimate than that (e.g. resurfaced lenses from the flawed batch which had been sold at a massive discount as disposable/short-lived for some destructive application like crash tests).
    Hi Sevo,

I believe you are correct.

About 3 or 4 years ago I sent a 110xl back to Schneider in Germany for a quick repair of the internal haze. They were very helpful and returned the corrected item via overnight service. So impressed with their service and quality of lenses I've since purchased a new lens (APO-S-L:480mm) - a wonderful / very sharp lens. Also purchased some old ones and the "itis" seems to have little effect. If I were worried about that, I'd pop it open and use a proper paint to fix it.

Years later the XL is still clear, so I think they've nailed the problem.

Bye,

Tim

I seem to recall that being correct also. And, I think I remember that the issue was centered more around the 80mm than the 110mm. I remember feeling that enough time had gone by that I could safely buy a 110mm, and I did. It was fine. That was probably 2002 or so? Maybe it has been the luck of the draw, but the three Schneider lenses I've owned have all been impeccable products.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post

Got one of the very first 110mm XL imported to the US. The lens is fine to this day since 1999. Waited almost an year after the initial order to receive the 110mm XL.

During the long wait, there were many conversations with the folks at Schneider with delivery. It turns out Schneider had a lot of problems producing the aspherical element. The initial batch of these lenses that was produced was pretty much done by hand with ground the aspherical element individually ground by hand/machine. The sales guy hand carried the initial batch (about 5 or so lenses) of 110mm & 150mm XLs back to the US from Germany in his brief case.... as he told me about this over the phone. Later production they went to a molding/grinding process of some kind. It does make me wonder if their production quality control many have slipped over the years.