Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D Enlarging lens to 4x5 lens board

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mounting Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D Enlarging lens to 4x5 lens board

I have a Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D enlarger lens that I need to mount to a Cambo 4x5 camera and I'm trying to figure out whats size hole I need on the board. The lens has 38mm threads so I'm thinking most likely a Copal No. 1 board. Has anyone treid this or know if I'm on the right track?

Thanks.

Re: Mounting Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D Enlarging lens to 4x5 lens board

http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/en/m...apo-rodagon-d/
    120 mm is not shown on above link.
    It most likely is the M39 by 26tpi Whitworth Leica mount. If you measure the thread OD with calipers or a micrometer that would be slightly under 39 mm
    If so you either can drill a clearance hole for 39 mm and use the nut that might be with the lens (spanner nut) ,
    or else cut a Leica M39 thread in the lens board.
    Here is a thread I cut on an inch lathe with Whitworth threading tool:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M39_LeicaThread.jpg  

Re: Mounting Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D Enlarging lens to 4x5 lens board

Thanks wombat2go.

I guess that would mean a Copal 0 board would be the way to go then as a Copal 1 would be too large?

First you don't have a Rodenstock enlarging lens. A Rodenstock enlarging lens has, among other features an illuminated aperture. Your lens, and the other two D lenses do not have this feature. That is because it is not an enlarging lens. It is a duplicating lens. Most often used for duplicating 45 transparencies.

All three Rodenstock Apo Rodagon-D lenses; 75mm 4.0, 75mm 4.5 and the 120mm 5.6 have a 39mm Leica thread mount. The same as found on most modern enlarging lenses. It will mount to a 0 size board. It will not mount directly to the threads in a 0 size shutter.

The link to B&H's web site also shows the wrong description as well as a picture of the lens upside down.

Thanks for the clarification Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    First you don't have a Rodenstock enlarging lens. A Rodenstock enlarging lens has, among other features an illuminated aperture. Your lens, and the other two D lenses do not have this feature. That is because it is not an enlarging lens. It is a duplicating lens. Most often used for duplicating 45 transparencies.

All three Rodenstock Apo Rodagon-D lenses; 75mm 4.0, 75mm 4.5 and the 120mm 5.6 have a 39mm Leica thread mount. The same as found on most modern enlarging lenses. It will mount to a 0 size board. It will not mount directly to the threads in a 0 size shutter.

The link to B&H's web site also shows the wrong description as well as a picture of the lens upside down.
    When you say it will mount on a 0 size board would that be using the standard M39 retaining ring? I will not be installing a shutter as I'll be using the shutter on the 5D MkII.

Quote Originally Posted by vastphoto View Post
    When you say it will mount on a 0 size board would that be using the standard M39 retaining ring? I will not be installing a shutter as I'll be using the shutter on the 5D MkII.
    Yes, it is a standard Leica thread, not a 0 shutter thread.

Hi Bob,

Old thread but related question. I wanted to buy a Schneider 120mm f/5.6 APO-Componon HM Enlarging Lens for 4x5 enlargement but BH no longer sells it. They suggested the Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D instead but it looks like it is designed for 1:1 1:2 report rather than typical 4-5 x or more typical of an enlarger. I am wondering if it would work equally well for darkroom printing enlargements or if I would be better off with say a Rodenstock 135mm Rodagon lens. I am looking to get the sharpest one I can for 4x5 neg enlargements. but have to buy it new.

Quote Originally Posted by pcardone View Post
    Hi Bob,

Old thread but related question. I wanted to buy a Schneider 120mm f/5.6 APO-Componon HM Enlarging Lens for 4x5 enlargement but BH no longer sells it. They suggested the Rodenstock 120mm f/5.6 APO-Rodagon D instead but it looks like it is designed for 1:1 1:2 report rather than typical 4-5 x or more typical of an enlarger. I am wondering if it would work equally well for darkroom printing enlargements or if I would be better off with say a Rodenstock 135mm Rodagon lens. I am looking to get the sharpest one I can for 4x5 neg enlargements. but have to buy it new.
    The problem is that the D series are duplicating lenses. They are terrible enlarging lenses. In 120 for enlarging Rodenstock only made the Rodagon-WA and it was a spectacular performer. But it is also no longer made. If you need a current lens then it would be the Rodagon. It is also a spectacular lens!
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 26-Mar-2018 at 20:19.