Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photographers Formulary Experiences

Re: Photographers Formulary Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by amilne View Post
    100g of Silver nitrate at photographers formulary: $299
    100g of silver nitrate at Artcraft: $119

Someone explain this to me.

On the service side, I've had ok service at the formulary, but exceptional service at Artcraft.
    I can tell you from my experience that different suppliers always have different prices. Chemicals, film, and anything photographic; the prices vary widely. Sometimes its profit and other times its buying at the wrong time or from the wrong supplier. I know silver prices are tracking inflation now like gold.

side note: I know a photographer that buy silver coins in bulk and makes his own silver nitrate. More chemistry than photography ...

check out this youtube

I'm too new to alt process to know what I'm talking about probably, but it's looking like with a little research and chemistry boning up, Artcraft could be a really economical alternative (pardon the pun please) for alternative process. B&S and Photographer's Formulary seem to be comprehensive suppliers for pt/pd and other processes, but it appears if you want to 'roll your own' so to speak, you could save upwards of 60% over their premixed and formulated kits for stuff. Any opinions? Sandy King have any comments on this?

Traditional photography IS chemistry. I briefly looked into making my own AgNO3, but basically it would be a novelty. The cost of getting beakers, silver bullion and acid shipped isn't worth it. Nevermind a fume hood, apron, etc. Plus, I live in a densely populated area in an apt with roommates. I need to be safe and responsible and toxic fumes are neither.

I was, however, just refining a contaminated batch of silver nitrate today. I'm taking the metallic silver to the sketchiest pawnshop I can find ASAP.

And Cletus, yes, as with most things DIY will save money. I would suggest a triple beam and a other proper measurement devices, because the great thing about premixed chems is consistency. Which is important but hard to maintain at home.

I've used Artcraft for over 8 years with no problems. Mix my own developers (Pyrocat-HD, D-76 equivalent, Dektol equivalent), fixer, toning baths, etc. The only prepared stuff I buy is for color processes. Buy in quantity to save on shipping and per unit cost. Get a small digital scale and coffee filters, dedicated hotplate, a couple Pyrex beakers, "The Darkroom Cookbook" and you're in business at pennies to the dollar.

I would use formulary more if their shipping prices weren't $$$. It makes more sense to order their products from b&h than from the manufacturer if they have it in stock.

I used to order from PF when I was in Taiwan. Never had a problem........except for that time Taiwan customs decided to open a package of pyro and do a Miami Vice style taste test......
    "There are two dirty words in photography; one is 'art', and the other is 'good taste'." - Helmut Newton

multiplex

i use the PF to get 6 gallons of ansco 130 / year.
    i could get it from artcraft, no doublt, and have bought from him in the past, ...

once i mixed the ansco wrong, i called and spoke someone at the PF
    and without hesitation, i was mailed a new kit no cost; nice folks.
    the guy at artcraft is a nice guy, and does great customer service too, and has great prices
    but he doesn't make glycin, until PF stops making glycin, i will keep buying 130 from them.

YMMV

Like buying any other items, you have to compare shipped prices. Like several others above, I buy chemicals from different vendors to get great the best pricing.
    Last edited by mikebarger; 9-Nov-2012 at 07:34.

Quote Originally Posted by DanJones View Post
    I've bought a lot from them over the years...always had good luck...they can be a little slow on mailing.
    Quote Originally Posted by amilne View Post
    http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/products/

If youre looking for chems and not photo specific accessories like coating rods, etc, kiss the formulary goodbye. They aren't the only specialty supplier on the block anymore.

But seriously, someone explain to me how the formulary can charge 200% more for the same thing? Do they mine it themselves?
    mike (artcarft) gets the best price around cause he buys it by the shipload.....

mike has the best chems around. NONE should be buying from anyone else.

as for PF.....i ordered once from them many many years ago....it took foreeeeeevvvvvveeeerrrrr to get anything. since then it has been artcraft all the way.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Drew Wiley

Their pricing is obviously related to how much you buy at a time, just like everyone else.
    And certain commodities precious metals silver, gold, or plantium are obviousy going to be
    affected by when they themselves purchased these chemicals. I've been dealing with them
    for years and have a very high opinion of them.