Thread: Rodenstock 180mm f/5.6 Sironar

Rodenstock 180mm f/5.6 Sironar

I recently bought yet another Toyo monorail (a D45M this time) via that famous on line auction site. Included with the deal was a Rodenstock 180mm f/5.6 Sironar in a #1 Synchro Compur. I cleaned the slow speeds escapement which got the shutter working correctly and shot some test images. The end result, I like the lens.

There is a ton of information about the Sironar-S and Sironar-N available, but I can't seem to find anything about the plain old Sironar. Can anyone clue me in as to the design of the lens (elements/groups) and other specs such as coverage angle and image circle?

TIA

The plain Sironar is the predecessor of the current Apo-Sironar-N and Apo-Sironar-S lenses. "Sironar" is the name that Rodenstock uses for their plasmat-type lenses, which have 6 elements in 4 groups. The Sironar is approximately contemporaneous with the plain Symmar, and like that lens was marketed as being convertible -- by removing one of the cells, you get a longer focal length lens, but with reduced image quality.

You can estimate the age of your lens from the table at Kerry Thalmann's website: http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/agevs.htm.

"The plain Sironar is the predecessor of the current Apo-Sironar-N and Apo-Sironar-S lenses."

No.

The predecessor of the Apo Sironar N was the Sironar N MC. It's predecessor was the Sironar N. It's predecessor was the Sironar. Several decades and 2 variations that were not convertible lay between the Sironar and the Apo Sironar N.

There was no predecessor for the Apo Sironar S.

Thanks for the help guys. Regardless of its heritage, it's a keeper in my lens collection!