Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reality Check on Prices

Re: Reality Check on Prices

Everyone has been really helpful, and I definitely think I'm saving a lot of money by waiting to buy a lot of things. I've decided to hold off on a new dark cloth, backpack, filters, light meter, and scanner. As for the rest of the list, I found a $20 Gepe Cloth Cable Release 20", $10 lens wrench, $10 f64 lens wrap, and $6 for a pack of 25 Print-File 4x5 negative pages. The only item I'm somewhat splurging on is an $80 Peak 4x loupe, which I've heard good things about. It's square and has a diopter adjustment.

How do people carry their film holders if you're just using a loose backpack? Would you buy a separate case that fits 6?

Also, I did forget to ask what kind of film to get. I've read good things about Ilford FP4+ to start.

Since this is the gear section of the forum, if anyone's interested I just ordered:

Chamonix 045N-2
    6 Chamonix Film Holders
    Chamonix Lens Board
    Rodenstock 150mm Sironar-N
    Ries J600 Tripod
    Ries J250 Tripod Head

...and the Ansel Adams books

FP4+ is a great film, but I recommend starting with HP5+ as it is faster and is more versatile. Get to know that one film and you can do a LOT in a lot of conditions.

My film holders ride in zip lock bags for protection against dust. You can get a small, soft sided cooler that will fit inside your day pack for a little extra padding if need be. Either of the Ilford emulsions are fine films---pick one and stick with it for +/- a year, get to really know what it can do.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Kodak is more expensive but has the best quality control and consistency. I doubt you will have a problem with Ilford though. A faster ISO 400 film as your standard is a good idea, you can always use the speed and grain is hardly a problem. Down the road maybe sample something else but it is hard to beat Tri-X or HP-5.

I just put film holders into Ziplocs. It depends how you pack but as long as nothing is a pressure position, they are plenty rugged naked. I have found plenty of cheap neoprene coolers that almost look like expensive photographic versions except for the annoying graphics, haha. A beer cozzy for your lens ;-)

The 150 Sironar-N is a great lens, the Ries tripod will be nice too. Good luck figuring out the Chamonix but once you understand it they seem like fine cameras.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nimo956 View Post
    Everyone has been really helpful, and I definitely think I'm saving a lot of money by waiting to buy a lot of things. I've decided to hold off on a new dark cloth, backpack, filters, light meter, and scanner. As for the rest of the list, I found a $20 Gepe Cloth Cable Release 20", $10 lens wrench, $10 f64 lens wrap, and $6 for a pack of 25 Print-File 4x5 negative pages. The only item I'm somewhat splurging on is an $80 Peak 4x loupe, which I've heard good things about. It's square and has a diopter adjustment.

How do people carry their film holders if you're just using a loose backpack? Would you buy a separate case that fits 6?

Also, I did forget to ask what kind of film to get. I've read good things about Ilford FP4+ to start.
    My thoughts are:

1. New Dark Cloth: When I first got into LF I bought a new Toyo-View dark cloth with my new Toyo-Field 45CF for about $40. A little heavy but works fine for 4x5 photography. However the Toyo Field Cameras have an optional folding focusing hood which will work if you cover the sides with both hands to block out the side light. But I also purchased large Domke wraps to protect the camera from scratches while riding in the pack. These wraps do double duty as a dark cloth when backpacking or going light and protect the camera from the inevitable scratches. I like my cameras and enjoy their looks when set-up even if I don't take the shot.

2. Filters: My best advice would be to get the Cokin Z Holder Kit with the 82mm adapter and step down rings to fit each your lens. Buy 4x5 or 4x6 filters – the Cokin resin filter for B&W (yellow, green and red ) are bargains. For Graduated,ND , UV, and polarizer don't skimp get glass filters such as Schneider. They cost more initially but with appropriate care they will last a lifetime without scratches and end up costing you less. In fact, I recommend high quality glass filters exclusively and personally have been gradually switching over from resin.

3. Film holder case: F64 hands down for 4x5. They zip shut protecting from dust and will attach anywhere on your pack and come with straps if you want to carry them from you shoulder. I use Toyo-View film holders exclusively – most of which I purchased new – and they come packaged in black plactic bags which I keep them in. The F64 case will hold 6 such holders.

4. Loupe: I purchased a new Toyo-View 4x loup with my first LF camera for $31.

5. Film: For B&W I shoot Fuji Acros for 4x5 and Ilfordf Delta 100 for 8x10. Color negative is Kodak Porta and Fuji Provia for E-6.

Thomas

Small towels, bubble wrap, old socks all work fine to protect lenses.

1. Loupe: cheap plastic ones work just fine.

2. Light Meter: If you're not using the Zone System (and most LFers dont) you can use a simple cheap meter, and after a bit of practice you will realize that you only use three or four settings especially for B&W and you'll also discover the Sunny 16 rule is plenty good enough.

3. Dark Cloth, aka old jacket

4. Backpack: any old backpack that fits your camera and is comfortable enough will do, if you surround your camera with soft stuff

5. Scanner? You mean enlarger, of course.

6. Filters: for B&W you can get a yellow or red one and maybe a graduated version, and in some cases an ND filter comes in handy. that's all you need. For color you'd need a polarizer
    7. Cable Release -- anyone that works. You may need an adaptor for some lenses and lens boards like s wides

These stuff are the least of your expenses as an LFer

Quote Originally Posted by nimo956 View Post
    I'm finally making the foray in LF photography and have started to acquire the big ticket items: 4x5 camera, lens, tripod and head. These have eaten up most of my budget, but there's still a long list of small items that I need. I need a reality check though on some of the prices that I'm seeing. What should a person new to LF pay for the following:

1. Loupe- I've seen these from $8 to $150
    2. Light Meter- These start at $150; should I just use my Canon 40D?
    3. Dark Cloth- Do I really need to spend $60 for a piece of cloth?
    4. Backpack- Here it might make sense at least to spend $150
    5. Scanner- Do I need this starting out? Is a good one like $700?
    6. Filters- I'd like to spend a fair bit of money here b/c they actually affect your image
    7. Cable Release- what kind do you want exactly?

Misc. other stuff:

7. Lens Wrench
    8. Lens Wrap
    9. 4x5 negative sleeves
    10. Ansel Adam books 1 & 2

Out of the list above, where would you prioritize spending money? What can you skimp on or forget entirely?
    I am a relative newbie on the LF scene. So you need to read all this understanding that I am not an expert of any sort. Rather I am what is known as the rankest amateur. Everything here could easily be ignored and you probably would not lose any sleep at all. More than likely you would turn into a great photographer, if you aren't already. But I will write this out anyway. Just understand though, you have been warned.

Whenever I become involved in a new hobby I tend to buy a lot of junk and then I sort out what I am really going to use later on. It tends to be a little expensive, and it frustrates my wife to no end, but I do have a lot of fun. Besides, I get to have these annual monster sales on e-bay where I get rid of expensive stuff at fire sale prices, telling myself all the way that I am breaking even.

But, out of everything I have bought, this is what I actually use.

1. A very cheap 8x magnifier bought at Wally World with black tape wrapped around the clear bottom bell. Very light and I am not going to cry like I did when I inadvertently left my beautiful, tilting, very expensive one behind somewhere in Peru.
    2. I bought a Pentax analogue spot meter several years ago when I started out to learn the Zone System. Some years later I am still learning the Zone system (I must be, and I have tons of books on the subject to prove it) but the meter itself is great and I would replace it quickly if I ever left it behind somewhere.
    3. Have bought and used most of the dark cloth options and I now use the Cambo binocular attachment for the great majority of my work. It's a little bulky but more than worth it. At least it doesn't start blowing around in a wind. I also have a huge, old black t-shirt stuffed in the bottom of my bag for those times that I want to use a dark cloth. (Note to self...wash that stinky thing!)
    4. I use an old Lowepro backpack that I have removed all the silly dividers from. It works, that is about all I can say about it. Actually I use it because it has nice strong straps to hold my tripod. But I do like the idea about using a wheeled luggage carrier. I have an old one that I could mount big bike wheels to. Hmmm.
    5. I contact print all my negatives and then scan them with my $120 Epson V500. The fact that most of my negatives weren't worth bringing home, let alone printing or scanning, doesn't deter me at all. After all, I tell myself that I am learning.
    6. A 77mm B&W linear polarizer from KEH and a 77mm Tiffen Yellow filter. One step up ring for my lens. I actually bought the filters for my 645Nii but they work great for large format.
    7. A nice Pentax 20 inch cloth covered shutter release cable. Very nice, a bit pricey, and the only one I have ever owned that hasn't kinked...yet.
    7. (#2) Lens wrench?? You mean the screwdriver? (Hint, never buy a large format lens or shutter from me if you have the silly opinion that scratches and dings do not build character in a lens.) Actually I now own a nice SK Grimes adjustable spanner. A great and wonderful thing and I highly recommend it if you can afford it!!
    8. My lens wraps are old socks. (I do wash them first). Lens cases take up too much room, lens wrap is too expensive, bubble wrap blows away in the slightest mountain breeze. Actually I rarely carry any spare lenses since I usually use a three way convertible Symmar. I do carry the socks though. I can use them to store the parts of the lens when I convert it and they have come in handy as actual socks on a couple hikes.
    9. I never carry negative sleeves with me. When at home I do use Print File sleeves.
    10. Likewise, I never carry Ansel Adams books on the trail since they are a bit heavy. I do own a few, as well as hundreds of others, but I leave them home as well.

Other things you did not mention. Probably because you have them already.
    11. Lots of film holders. I am not too picky about the brand right now, I love them one and all. If I do run across one that seems to leak light I toss it in a box for next year's E-Bay fire sale. Always full disclosure, of course.
    12. An extra box of film. I am certainly not a pro, not even a particularly competent amateur, so I still shoot a lot of Arista EDU 100, though I am beginning to graduate to Arista EDU 400 now. I do love the big boy's film, it is very nice and very high quality, but I just can't afford to use much of it unless I get it very cheap, which means it is usually expired. Arista EDU is a whole lot less expensive than Ilford and WAYYYYY less than Kodak, God Bless their souls.
    13. A few black, plastic, film sleeves and an empty film box in case I want to unload film from a holder.
    13. (You can have two 7s, I can have two 13s ) A changing bag. I usually carry my old Arista bag since it is inexpensive to replace and big enough that I can actually reload film holders in it.
    14. A lens shade. This is more valuable to me than my filters. I did not spend a bunch of money on it. The one for my Symmar is a piece off an old, heavy, cardboard map tube that fits nicely over the lens exterior. I cut it back just to the point where it does not vignette and spray painted it flat black inside...and outside too come to think of it.

So, there you have it, the hobbyist's list. All kidding aside, have fun.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    All kidding aside, have fun.
    This
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White