Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Zone Vl 5x4 NEW....do I use it or get a user and just look at it?

Re: Zone Vl 5x4 NEW....do I use it or get a user and just look at it?

I think you should shoot it. Take it out in a field, load the shotgun with double-ought buck and have at it. Then shoot the remains with the half-plate and collodian. That would be art!

If we keep all that old junk around we will put all the camera-makers out of business.

Drew: I didn't pay an extra $300 for it on account of its NOS condition. My point was that being in that rare condition would make it worth only about $300 more than a user. As I recall I got it for $750 to $780, which was a decent price for a user. My point is that if a Deardorff of that age in that condition doesn't command a huge premium, then the probability of the future value of a Zone VI being a big help in retirement isn't very likely. So my conclusion was use it, and take care of it.

There are certain cameras where NOS condition, box, paperwork, etc. would make the item quite valuable. If you had an M3 in that condition, for example.

Since there were over 4 thousand camera made yours being a collector no. There are a few cameras that would fall into that area. The first two proto types made by Wisner I have one, second one was sold as a production camera. Then there were 5 Pear wood cameras only 3 were sold these were to mark the 20th year of Zone VI, and one all black camera with gold hardware sits on a shelf in my office.

So use it and enjoy it.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Thanks Richard for adding to this discussion, which I didn't expect to arouse as much interest as it has. I have to admit that monetry value wasn't really a consideration when I put up the post. I was really just wondering what other members would do in the same circumstances. I had always really intended to use it sometime but as each year crept by it just seemed a pity to subject such an attractive object to the rigours of the Scottish weather and the idea of getting a "more suitable" user seemed quite attractive. Well you and a few others have made up my mind so it comes out of the box and will see first light shortly.

Thanks to all who contributed and again particurly to you Richard for taking interest in one of your progeny.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    Drew: I didn't pay an extra $300 for it on account of its NOS condition. My point was that being in that rare condition would make it worth only about $300 more than a user. As I recall I got it for $750 to $780, which was a decent price for a user. My point is that if a Deardorff of that age in that condition doesn't command a huge premium, then the probability of the future value of a Zone VI being a big help in retirement isn't very likely. So my conclusion was use it, and take care of it.

There are certain cameras where NOS condition, box, paperwork, etc. would make the item quite valuable. If you had an M3 in that condition, for example.

I have a 1952 Deardorff V8 made for the US Air Force. When I first removed it from its original case, I could tell that it hadn't been used since its military service. Nice and clean. A real time capsule with just the right faint musty scent of wood & metal trapped in a case for so long. But I use it.

There is a temptation to sell it. One in well used condition recently sold on eBay for $4800. But I should keep it and use it.

Well circumstances change and so does the fate of my beautiful Zone VI 4x5. I am having to step back from film photography for a while so I have decided that the camera should be sold on to someone who will be able to put it to good use. As I still have my old Kodak half plate I hope to pick up large format photography again when circumstances allow. I'll put an ad. in the for sale section later today, along with some pics.,which I hope you may wish to peruse.

I would sell it, or auction with a good reserve. Why? Camera furniture with gold-plated hardware has no place in the field. Despite what Fred said, he sold something that appeals to vanity. Let someone else enjoy it so that you can get out there and work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post

If it were a new-old-stock Zone VI 8x10, it would command a hefty premium on eBay. A 4x5, perhaps $200-300.

Hi Martin Courtenay-Blake,

Sorry you have to step away, my advice is that a NOS camera belongs in the hands of someone who will use it.

Hopefully the new owner will be someone who can learn photography on it, and it would spare that person from having to also learn the art of camera maintenance.

A collectable NOS may be better off in the hands of a collector or investor than as a learner's camera. First cameras, like first cars, should be expendable.