Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Zone Vl 5x4 NEW....do I use it or get a user and just look at it?

Re: Zone Vl 5x4 NEW....do I use it or get a user and just look at it?

Kuzano:

I understand every point you make. I agree with about all of what you say. If I was not visually impaired the Leica M-3 on the shelf would be full of film and in a camera bag. It cost me ~$250 in 1977 and I had no thought to sell it off when an Asian buyer offered a grand for it in the late '90s.

A collector I know has two ULF studio cameras fully restored in his private display area at home. At one time I had access to ULF sized film and developing when I worked at a clinic in medical imaging. When I suggested that we could expose a few sheets and run them through the darkroom’s automatic developing system, he had a panic attack and broke out in a cold sweat! He actually got sick at the thought of making photographs with his cameras!

And there it is: To preserve a camera for the future or us it doing photography.

The Zone VI in question would not suffer by being used as it was designed. It is not particularly valuable as an object. It does not have an historically significant provenance. If it had been used since the mid-1980s I would say continue to use it.

Because it is in pristine, un-used condition—with the original box, my thought is to preserve it as-is for some future photographer. We can disagree on this and in the end the sun will still come up tomorrow for us to photograph; And that is what brings us all together on this forum.

Cheers
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I came across a NOS Deardorff 5X7. And it looked it. I never thought about doing anything other than putting it to use. It was worth maybe $300 more than a used one. I don't regret the decision and since I've taken care of it the camera still looks great. So I say use it.

Kevin:

So, you paid a premiuim of $300 more than an already-been-used one because . . .?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I have an original one that is in fine condition that you can buy for $500 or so depending on shipping. Also a Nikon 210mm and lots of accessories
    jhulton@gmail.com

OP-Since you have enough money to buy a second camera why not buy a beater Zone VI and actually use it and keep the pretty one in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Courtenay-Blake View Post
    Some years ago I bought a new Zone Vl 5x4 camera from a UK dealer who had never even put it on display. It is the original Fred Picker designed one with the gold plated hardware etc..

My dilemma is do I finally take the plunge and use this thing or ...

I will admit that I do find beauty in well engineered objects. If I were lucky enough to get hold of a mint Alpa 10 or 11 series camera I'd probably put it in a case and just look at it. Just wondering if there's any one else out there like me.
    Martin.

I too like things done well, so in that regard you are not alone.

The question seems to become whether you make decisions on an emotional or more rational basis...

Having done some expensive hobbies (relative to income) in the past, I do not feel it is right to question anyone else's hobbies, including collectors.

If you are going to make it as a rational decision (or justify it rationally), then you need to look both at the expected value when you may choose to sell it and the opportunity costs of things you forego during the time (including time value of money) you hold onto it waiting for the value to go up...

If you have difficulty in making the final decision, then you might want to search your pocket for a coin...

That may prove to be as rational as anything else.

Good luck with your dilemma,

Len

Definately some polarised views on this. I actually have an old Kodak half plate (ex RAF) I am putting into working order with every intention to use, although it is a bit of a brute. In the meantime I'll start making lensboards and install a few lenses for the Zone Vl and take it from there.

I'm sure there is a name for this attitude towards things like cameras, watches, hi-fi equipment etc. I have a precision engineering background and I suppose I just like things that are put together well and do the job they were intended to do as well as possible. To listen to music I use Krell/Martin Logan/Naim equipment because I believe they were the best I could afford in terms of musical performance and build quality. The Krell amp and ML speakers were 2nd user as are most of the heap of cameras and lenses I have accumulated over the years....I just don't seem to be able to part with any of them because I like the way they were made compared to my digital SLRs. I did own an Alpa in the dark distant past (a used 9D with Macro Switar). I used it a lot but loved it's engineering as well...it just worked beautifully.

Back to the Zone Vl I guess I'll be expected to post it's "first light" pic when it's taken.........unless someone chooses to convince me otherwise.

Personally I can't see the use in having something if I can't use it. I've buy NIB NOS things all the time and rip open the packaging to mess with it. I don't see why you would have something and not use it regardless of the condition or value.

But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I would ask an appraiser or someone at an antiques auction house. In another 50 years, the value may be quite high, especially if it's got original packaging, paperwork, etc.
    No. The Zone VI is a user. It's not antique. It's not even highly desirable as a user. Only the things that are collectable now will be collectable in 50 years. There are only a limited amount of people 'collecting' camera equipment and that number is dwindling.

Put it up for sale for a reasonable premium. (+25% above average price?) If it sells, great.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    If you had a woman, willing and beautiful, sitting next to you, would you just stare at her?
    That thought takes me back to my teens.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain