Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zone Vl 5x4 NEW....do I use it or get a user and just look at it?

Zone Vl 5x4 NEW....do I use it or get a user and just look at it?

Some years ago I bought a new Zone Vl 5x4 camera from a UK dealer who had never even put it on display. It is the original Fred Picker designed one with the gold plated hardware etc.. I take it out of it's box now and then to flex the bellows. It has never had a lens or dark slide fitted, or been on a tripod. I suppose it's about as mint as it gets. My dilemma is do I finally take the plunge and use this thing or buy a used MPP or similar and just appreciate the Zone Vl as a beautiful object. What would any of you guys do in the same circumstance? I'm not necessarily saying I'll heed any advice given but it would be interesting to see what you would do. I will admit that I do find beauty in well engineered objects. If I were lucky enough to get hold of a mint Alpa 10 or 11 series camera I'd probably put it in a case and just look at it. Just wondering if there's any one else out there like me.

selmslie

Re: Zone Vl 5x4 NEW....do I use it or get a user and just look at it?

I have had one for a long time, use it occasionally. I even bought a V750 to scan the negatives after I converted to digital printing.

With light use it should last the rest of your life.

Although I prefer medium format for its convenience, there is no point in letting it go unused.

I would ask an appraiser or someone at an antiques auction house. In another 50 years, the value may be quite high, especially if it's got original packaging, paperwork, etc.

It is still in it's original box Ken complete with original "typed" instruction sheet. I must admit I am tempted to start using it. Just had a thought Christie's, the auction people, hold specific photographic equipment sales. They are not limited to old equipment only. Perhaps I'll check them out, you never know may fetch a goodprice and enable me to get an alternative more suited to the scenery and conditions of the great Scottish outdoors.

There were so many of the Zone VI cameras sold in their various iterations none of which were ever "cult" cameras that I'd be surprised if it's worth significantly more (i.e. greater than maybe a 10%-15% premium) than any Zone VI camera that's in excellent condition. Zone VI cameras today seem to be bought to use, not as collectors items. But you could always find out by putting it on ebay and setting a very high reserve that nobody will meet, then see what kind of bids you get. As for 50 years down the road, who knows? But do you care? How old are you?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Once it has the slightest sign of use, it will never be such a treasure again. Perhaps there are other brands and formats of absolutely new in box older cameras in ebay completed auctions to determine the premium on such condition. If selling, Brian's suggestion of a high reserve for the first offering sounds wise.

Martin:

Ten years ago I bought a wista built ZoneVI at a camera show. It was a "user" in that it came with lenses, film holders and all the other kit for shooting, all in a LowPro back pack. I got it from the original owner as his field set up. I use it.

Yours however, is different. It is The Zone VI, designed by Fred Picker and hand-built by Richard Ritter. It is "mint, as-new, in the box" as the collectors like to say. I would keep it that way. There is no real collectors market for this camera at this time but some day there will be (by "someday: I mean a very long time).

Whenever that time comes, mint and in the box is what collectors will prize the most. Unlike our wonderful digital widgets, these cameras can last a long time. Beyond value, we are less "owners" of these cameras,and rather stewards of finely crafted instruments. Yes, I do use mine, but I also feel that I am keeping it safe for the next photographer who will care for it.

If you are doing LF photogrpahy, get a camera to use and keep the Zone VI mint. Enjoy them both for what they are.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Since this is a thread that is purely about opinions, with no "premium" for experience, and no hard facts on either side of the question, I'll throw in my vote for "use it." The last time I "channeled" Fred Picker, whose ghost remembers me well from the workshop I took with him up in Vermont some 30 (?) years ago, he was adamant that his cameras were made to be used. To be a little less facetious, I agree with the post made earlier that there will probably never be a real collector's market for the Richard Ritter/Fred Picker cameras, any more than for the other ZoneVI equipment that I am still happy to use in my darkroom (enlarger head, compensating timer, film washer, etc.). Given that you are unlikely to make any significant money selling it (beyond its value as a very good field camera), you are down to the question of whether you personally will get more satisfaction using it, or putting it on a shelf and looking at it. From what I read (since I don't have the wealth to be a car collector), those lucky enough to own exotic cars (either new or historical) enjoy driving them, rather than merely holding onto them. Of course to put my thoughts into context, I'm the one who early on took the money from my first raise, and deciding between buying an Ansel Adams print or a view camera, chose to buy the view camera. The AA print would have been the far better investment, but how do you put a price on 30 years of enjoying large format photography?

Seems kinda weird to just sit there and stare at a camera while fondling it occasionally. What are you ultimately going to do with it??

Eric Biggerstaff

I have that Zone VI, and use it all the time. The later versions, which mine is one, are very sturdy and excellent cameras. I love it! A tad bit heavy perhaps but solid as a brick. Sure, over time the gold plating is wearing a bit thin and I needed to put a new bellows on it, but it is a great camera to use. It seems a shame to not get it out and use it for the purpose it was designed. Load some film and get it out there making images, the camera will be happy and so will you.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com