Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From "rail" to field"...............

From "rail" to field"...............

From "rail" to "field".........

I'm looking to switch from my Horseman monorail to a field camera. I have only two lenses, a Rodenstock 210 and a Nikon 120SW, the Nikon has a very large rear element (total diameter is 3 1/8 inches)....is there a concern with the Nikon lens as to what field camera will be able to accomodate it i.e., with regard to the opening in the front standard that the rear element will need to fit through? I'm trying to get an idea of what field cameras not to even consider to kinda speed the search up.

thanks
    Chuck

Re: From "rail" to field"...............

There are certainly field cameras that will take that lens. Cameras with larger lensboards (Deardorf, Zone VI, Ebony, Wisner, etc.) should be fine. Many of these, however, are often as bulky and heavy as a lightweight monorail. (I use my Zone VI much less than my smaller folders for longer hikes and never for backpacking).

Many lightweight folders take Technika-style lensboards. You may have problems with these field cameras. Even though the lensboard is a bit wider than the diameter of the rear element, you usually have to tip the lens a bit to mount it, and the large rear element will likely get in the way with Wistas, Woodman cameras, etc. You may also want to avoid the smaller lighter folders since the SW 120mm might be a bit heavy for the front standards of many.

A lens like the 120 SW has a lot of coverage, more than most lightweight folders can ever use. If you want to take advantage of that, you need one of the larger, sturdier and more flexible field cameras. I own a Zone VI and, with a bag bellows, you could certainly use the 120 SW to its maximum. I imagine some Ebony models and others will enable you to take full advantage of the lens as well. I'm sure others will add more information regarding this and other brands.

If, however, it is lighter weight and less bulk that have prompted you to move to a field camera, you may wish to get a smaller camera and a lighter lens in the 120-135mm range. Most 135mm plasmats are tiny in comparison to the Nikkor 120. Fuji makes a nice 125mm plasmat as well. Just a thought...

Best,

Doremus

As Doremus points out,, this lens should work without difficulty with the Zone VI which I also happen to use....it is wonderful. What hasn't been mentioned is the fact that if you choose a camera that it physically can't mount to due to the rear group diameter, you can still use it provided that the camera back is removable. All you would have to do is unscrew the rear element group, mount the board with the front set, then remove the camera back and screw in the rear group, then remount the camera back and go to work.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I used it on a Wista SP. You do have to be careful when mounting it. Also it will hit the bellows when using a lot of rise.

Thanks all so far............what about the Toyo's, the 45A, 45AX, 45AII? I like the metal construction aspect of these cameras.

Not having used the Nikkor 120sw I can't say for sure but I have used the Fuji 105 F8SW, which appears to be a similar size and weight, on my 45AII. The camera was very capable of handling the lens, it just didn't make sense to me to carry the extra weight in a field application. I sold the 105 and use a tiny 120 Apo-Symmar now.

Possibly to clarify Mr AdamsX comment, the wista SP in a metal folder. A nice one too. The Wista and Toyo are both fine metal folders.

I use a 120SW on my Chamonix often. It's one of my favorite lenses. No problems. It just barely fits though.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

... consider a used Linhof Technikardan 45S as well - although technically speaking not a field camera it folds up just as compact. Twice the weight of a Chamonix/ebony, but it'll give you full movements with your lenses and it has a similar design to the camera you already use.
    For me, its the one do-it-all camera and I only work in the field (I couldn't afford an Arca)... And did I mention that the built quality of Linhof is unsurpassed?

After switching from a Sinar F to a Zone VI, I'd advise some caution before making the move. I'd at least use one before making the jump.