Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decent rain-repellant spray/treatment for darkcloth, backpack?

Decent rain-repellant spray/treatment for darkcloth, backpack?

Anyone have any recommendations? Kiwi, Scotchguard, Nikwax? Something that dries odor-free definitely a plus. The fabrics I'd like to treat are typical backpack nylon and that laminated cotton blackout drape material that's popular for focusing cloths. Thanks.

Oops- misspelled repellent in the subject line.

Re: Decent rain-repellant spray/treatment for darkcloth, backpack?

What about some of the spray waterproofing compounds for hiking books/
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Sno-seal is what we used to use to waterproof Levis for sking.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I use beeswax on my leather hiking boots (Alicos) I don't know what would work on those dad gummed newfangled synthetics
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

From personal experience I wouldn't recommend rain-repellant spray. Several years back I had a real good pair of hiking boots - Rockport XRS or something like that. These boots were black leather, like military boots once were, with thick soles that provided good traction on uneven terrain. I kept very good care of them treating them with saddle soap and they fit and wore well. I put many many miles on them without complaint. But their one downside was that they were all leather - no canvas top so you had to keep them out of water. Then one day in preparation for a back-country trip I sprayed them with rain-repellant which ruined them. The leather changed from being soft and supple to being stiff and inflexible ruining them.

Instead of spraying my gear with raain-repellant I'd get a BTZS darkcloth for an 8x10 which is water repellant and a backpack that comes equippred with a rain coat such as a Gregory or Lowepro. For a 4x5 field camera I often use the Domke wrap which is water repellant on the top as a darkcloth. You can also purchase rain coats for backpacks at places like REI and a lightweight military poncho at a military surplus store. The poncho will cover you and your gear down to your shins and doubles as a lightweight and tough ground cover for your tent and a lean-to in inclement tropical weather.

Thomas

The best leather treatment I have used is Obenauf's LP, which is a wax based preparation developed by forest fire fighters. www.obenaufs.com

I have used Nikwax spray on bags and such. It seems to work well for light rain, but I have not been out in a downpour, so I don't know how effective it would be then.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm well outfitted for hiking in torrential rain. It's when I stop, roll stuff out and take a picture that everything gets a little soggy. I just need something to help shed some water while I'm under the darkcloth and working out of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    I just need something to help shed some water while I'm ... working out of the pack.
    For the pack, if you’re serious, don’t forget seam seal.

You might have a pack cover – but when it’s off and it’s drizzling, water knows how to find and get through seams. Especially if your pack presses against wet ground.

I use seam seal on my tent seams, too.

I seal both sides of the seam when possible, and reapply after each trip.

He's not asking about boots or leather!
    I've used quite a bit of camp dry on packs. Not odorless though.

Foamer

The Obernauf's is great for boots & leather--it's what I use here in the Dakotas. However, I would not put it on nylon etc. fabrics.
    I'm not aware of any truly waterproofing spray for fabrics--most just claims to repel water. You might check www.cabelas.com.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!