Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Color for a newbie?

Linhof Color for a newbie?

I've already got a Crown Graphic 4x5 but I'm looking to buy either a monorail or a field camera, for use both in the studio and occasionally for landscapes. The Crown is nice but not flexible enough.

So this newbie is thinking about buying a Linhof Color that I came across recently. It's relatively cheap (by local standards, but not compared to other places). It looks the same as the one at this URL: http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Linhof_Color_4x5 and it comes with a couple of lenses. The condition looks good, and the bellows are in very good condition.

Most of my photography is still in medium format so I've still got much to learn with LF. Would this camera be a good choice, or would I do better to buy something better and more modern such as Sinar F2? (F2's seem to be more common here, although more expensive.) And if I decide to buy a better quality wide angle lens for the Color, what should I look for?

Thanks!

Re: Linhof Color for a newbie?

The Linhof Color can be a cool, 1960s retro $300 camera but I wouldn't spend much more on it. A new bellows will cost more than that, so check that the current one isn't gummy or worn on the corners. Parts will be expensive and rare but the good news is that it uses Technika lensboards, which are common and inexpensive. Back movements are not intuitive - it's basically a Technika on a monorail so it still has more limited movements than most other monorails. I think it was more of a bargain way to enter the Linhof system than anything else - yet the workmanship is superior and if you clean it up so it isn't sticky from sitting around for years then you'll have a nice camera.

A $300 Sinar F will have unlimited, full movements and is infinitely expandable with a ready supply of inexpensive and common parts and accessories. All things considered, the Sinar is the better practical choice - a $500 F2 or Norma would be an even better choice though. A decent used bellows will be only $50 to $80 on eBay.

If you have a good 135 on your Crown then most people get a 90 and 210 for a classic kit. You could also find or make a lensboard adapter to use the Crown board on the larger Sinar board.

You'll probably need a new bellows for $300-400, if it hasn't had one recently.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    You'll probably need a new bellows for $300-400, if it hasn't had one recently.
    The current belows look to be quite good, but I didn't realise that a replacement was so expensive! Thanks to both of you for your help. I'll continue with my searching and pondering

I think the linhof color is a dandy little camera. They are small enough to pack for field use and they are extremely durable (they are basically just monorail versions of the technika). There are at least two different versions of the color floating around out there and price will be most likely depend on which one you find. The early more common version is pictured on the website you linked to. The later model added a split rail (which makes it much less bulky to pack for field use) and a rear rise function. In the linhof world the colors are pretty good bargains (usually selling for much less than the technikas which they share much in common with).

I also think they are one of the coolest looking view cameras ever made (but I might be in the minority on that one).

For your intended purpose, I think a Linhof Kardan Color 45S would be a better buy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Linhof-Karda...-/280982919740

Years ago I owned a Color and still remember the silky smooth focusing with the big red knobs. Also the quality and finish were wonderful. But beyond that, I can't really recommend one. The movements are rather limited and the controls I found fairly awkward. If you are thinking of using wide angle lenses, the Color is really limited compared with a more modern camera that takes interchangeable bellows. The lens boards are small compared to something like a Sinar, if you ever wanted to use large aperture portrait type lenses. Bellows draw is limited to about 17 inches as I recall, which is okay, but if you do want more extension for some reason, you are sort of stuck. I would certainly favor an F series Sinar mostly because so many extra pieces are available on the used market, but Toyo or Horseman or something with interchangeable bellows seems like a better direction for you to go than the Color.

Still, I sometimes wish I hadn't sold my Color, since it was my first Linhof. I fell in love with Linhof brand 50 years ago from reading the beautiful magazine they published. I feel like somewhat of a traitor using a Sinar Norma, but it is a great camera and I can easily buy any extra bits I need from KEH or eBay.

Len

Agree with Leonard, the Linhofs are the very best quality - from another Sinar Norma user (I love mine too but it really isn't as nicely made as the Linhof). That Kardan mentioned above looks nice too though!

The Linhof Color that I'm considering includes a 135/235 convertible lens plus a 210 lens (can't remember more details, sorry) and the reflex viewer. The condition looks very good including the bellows. I've looked at some of the suggestions on this thread, the F2 does sound like the "sweet spot" for what I'm after, the trick is finding one locally (or that can be shipped) in good condition for a reasonable price.

How much is it?

Based on the mention of being a convertible lens, probably the lenses are from the 1960s, matching the camera's age. If unused they can be gummed up and hazed, which usually can be cleaned for about $100 and a trip to the technician... otherwise they are nice lenses. Just factor that in ~ versus buying more modern lenses for about $250-450 for a late 1990s-era Schneider or Rodenstock 135-150-180-210 in nice shape.

The Linhof bellows are high quality but thin, and eventually the glued seam along the bottom gets sticky and fails. If it is tacky you have a negotiating point.

Again, while it has more movements than a Graphic, it does not have the range of other monorails. And because the bellows is fixed, you can't swap it out for a bag bellows should you want to use wider lenses. What I am saying is that it can be a very nice camera but don't pay a lot for it!