Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob Kolbrener

Bob Kolbrener

I just saw a book by Bob Kolbrener and was blown away! Most B&W large format treatments of Yosemite seem predictable but Kolbrener's work IMHO sparkles with originality. The rock, water and sky are like---how do I explain this?---Like subjects in a portrait, posed to have thier photo taken as opposed to either a forced "postcard" or an Adams copy. Does that make sense? Anyway, I'm impressed by his originality---they are the first B&W Yosemite landscapes I'd seen in quite awhile that made me smile. I was wondering if anyone else here had seen his work & what your thoughts are?

-----Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Bob Kolbrener

He's awesome. I love his quote:

"If you buy a camera, you are a photographer. If you buy a flute, you own a flute."

Bob Kolbrener

His photos have that edge a lot of landscapes lack- I guess you would call it the photograph as event. In Adams' best pictures it's this sense of event that sets them apart from other images,for example moonrise or clearing winter storm. Bobs pictures have that "I would never have thought of doing that about them" Great stuff! Thanks John for reminding me about his work. You can see some of his images at the Ansel adams gallery

Bob Kolbrener

what is the ISNB # or the title of the book?

Bob Kolbrener

pat,

I wish I knew---I wish I'd bought the book!I saw it a short while ago at the photo gallery at Chukchansi Gold near Coarsegold, CA, but when I returned to get a copy there were none left. I did a search and he's represented by Gallery M. Try http://www.artquarterly.com/ Bob Kolbrener.htm

~Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Bob Kolbrener

I found an ISBN: 0891780386 Bob Kolbrener Photographs: 25 Years of The Great American West, published by the Saint Louis Art Museum.

Bob Kolbrener

There is another one sold at Ansel Adams Gallery at Yosemite. See the following link. It is a great book!

http://www.anseladams.com/product1.aspx?SID=1&Product_ID=1231&Category_ID=114

Bob Kolbrener

For anyone that is interested, the book KOLBRENER'S YOSEMITE is now available from Bob Kolbrener's new website www.BobKolbrenerPhotography.com

You can also see more of Bob's magnificant work.

Please contact me for any additional details.

Bob Kolbrener

Bob Kolbrener's images can be seen on his new website www.BobKolbrenerPhotography.com

Enjoy!

Bob Kolbrener

I visited Bob Kolbrenner's site and enjoyed it thoroughly..... uhhh....the "Landscapes" that is (I love my Bride!)