Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: traditional camera bag / case that can convert to backpack?

Re: traditional camera bag / case that can convert to backpack?

Lowepro used to make three or four bags called omni pro. They look like a small soft sided suitcase or briefcase. I'm pretty sure they convert to a backpack but I've never done it with mine. They generally can be opened from the large side or the top. They still show up on ebay from time to time. They are great for keeping things organized.

Jeff Keller

Does your bottle of developer ever get corked?

Terence: Check the Pelican hard cases. I seem to recall that there is now a back pack accessory for some models.

Avoid the soft-side line of Pelican products as they are actually made by another company.
    Last edited by Tom Westbrook; 26-Jul-2013 at 04:59.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I kave a Kata something (3n1-33 I think) that is a sling bag and back pack. I generally use it as a backpack.

I think that Pelican makes a backpack kit for some of their hard cases; shoulder straps, waist belt etc. Would that work for you?

As I get older, the gound seems further down when squatting and the tripod with camera seems much higher when getting up again.

I would like to see a case that has legs that extend to bring the bag/case out of the wet grass and up to the level of my belt!

And yes; The "Pelican" soft cases are made and imported by companies that only license the name and Logo. The very good Pelican lifetime warrenty does not apply to the soft side bags.

I love my Pelican hard shell case. Avoid the "Pelican" soft side bags.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Scott Davis

I have one of the Pelican backpacks that when the straps are stowed and the side pockets are collapsed will fit inside one of their hard cases. I've had it since 2005 and have not had any problems with the construction/durability. It works reasonably well as a backpack, but it is not designed like a dedicated backpack so it is not the solution for carrying your gear long distances. I have used it for transporting a Canham 5x7 wood field, five lenses, cable releases, and a dozen film holders. It's a nice versatile bag and reasonably priced (I want to say the bag plus the Pelican hard case together were less than $300). Looking around on the B&H website I'm not finding the one I have any more, so they may not be making it, but I could just be using the wrong search terms.

For the "Pelican" soft sided bags:The warrenty is only good for in-production or in-stock products . . .so they change the models often.

For the genuine Pelican brand hard cases: Their traditional lifetime warrenty is good for about any reason.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

Right Scot—the soft cases are full of features and designed as well as any bags out there.

For the "Pelican" soft sided bags:The warrenty is only good for in-production or in-stock products . . .so they change the models often.

For the genuine Pelican brand hard cases: Their traditional lifetime warrenty is good for about any reason.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com