Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this the Right time.

Is this the Right time.

Hi Guys,

Okay iv toyed with the idea of going to a Large format 5x4 Camera for over a year now.

But it seems the last couple of weeks im now about 75% sure.. the other 25% is if i invest in all the equipment will the film still be there next year without having to spend a fortune and freezing most of it.

Thanks.

Re: Is this the Right time.

Well, I think that at least BW film will be there the next decade, or even longer... if we keep using it...
    (colour film might be a little different...)

You could invest much more in digital gear, and next year have almost nothing - because of the digital gear being "morally obsolete"...

I'd say go for it...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

I think you'll be okay on film for the foreseeable future, especially for 4x5, as long as you plan to shoot Ilford FP4+ or HP5+. That's all I can speak to from experience, but 4x5 and 8x10 will probably outlast most other large formats. Not sure about color film, there's still some out there but it's beginning to dwindle. Kodak's future, as we all know by now, is uncertain.

Now's the time (for used equipment especially).

I can forsee B&W film being around for quite a while, sorta like you can still buy horse saddles, black powder revolvers (in the US), etc.. If not, you can still make plates.

If you want to experience large format photography, then go for it.

If you want to shoot LF, then do it.
    If you wait, you'll only kick yourself for not taking it up sooner.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I'm mainly after colour slide / colour negative film.

I guess I might have to shop around and buy bulk.

Color negative film is much more likely to be available longer than chrome/slide film. You can buy a huge supply but once new production stops, the commercial processing options will cease within a certain period afterwards (perhaps a year or so?). After that, you'd have to process color yourself, which somewhat more involved than simple B&W processing.

Personally I wouldn't buy more than a year's supply of color film for that reason, as I am unwilling to process color myself. And buying consistently rather than hoarding is a way to show the manufacturer that there is a steady demand, so you're helping to keep the products viable.

Color film is somewhat tied to movie film production, and while trends are taking the film industry towards digital, there is a still a hardcore demand for real film. Yet Kodak is bankrupt and both Kodak and Fuji are dropping products frequently. So we'll have to wait and see what happens, but I doubt we will have color film in 5 to 10 years.

I will still shoot B&W and process at home since that is easier for me. B&W film can be manufactured on a smaller scale so there should be at least one viable manufacturer that continues for another generation at least, there certainly seems to be plenty of demand from the art and hobby market.

If I were getting into large format I would look for "value" rather than spending thousands on some exotic camera. This makes sense not only because the future prospects may be limited, but it just makes good sense from the point of view of trying a new technique/media out. Luckily, you can purchase many fine outfits for under $1000 USd, and if you do your homework, $500 is not unrealistic. I have top-of-the-line professional 4x5 gear and my total investment is still less than a new 70-210/2.8 lens.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Ajd2k8, the most important question for you to answer is why you want LF. I got into LF because I wanted movements, and I bought a 4x5 Super Graphic for less than the cost of a shift-tilt lens. In fact, every LF camera I've bought has been less than the price of a shift-tilt lens. Could I have done better? Yeah, by starting out with LF instead of MF.

+1 on what Frank said about film. Kodak has dropped all E-6, so that leaves Fuji as the only player for that game. Fuji has made some cutbacks on that front, but there's still lots of Provia and Velvia for sale. There is no such thing as LF bulk, though. Buy what you need as you need it. Some of the members here have a couple of decades worth of film stored, but I don't know the chemicals will be available to process it will be available two decades from now. Sure, you'll pay a bit more in film, but you won't be stuck with $20,000 in frozen film that can't be processed.

While your interest is in color, start with black & white. It's far cheaper, and you can process it at home while you're learning how to use the camera. There is a bit of a learning curve, but if you just take the thing and work with it, then the curve isn't very steep at all.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Sorry you have missed the window of opportunity by 6 months. He who hesitates is lost!
    I guarantee film will be here next year, but will you be?
    Life is short: Worry less about the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajd2k8 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Okay iv toyed with the idea of going to a Large format 5x4 Camera for over a year now.

But it seems the last couple of weeks im now about 75% sure.. the other 25% is if i invest in all the equipment will the film still be there next year without having to spend a fortune and freezing most of it.

Thanks.