Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shen Hao Tachihara or neither

Shen Hao Tachihara or neither

The focusing hood acts as the GG protector. Since the Shen Hao does not come equipped with a fresnel, the glass is too dim to try and do much more than rough composing with the focusing hood.

If you get the Shen Hao, I would not recommend wasting the money on the focusing hood. Make yourself a GG protector of foamcore or something similar.

The Shen Hao folding focusing hood appears to be a copy of the similar accessory that Toyo makes for their metal 4x5 field cams. From my experience with the Toyo, I can attest to the fact that it is only marginally useful as an actual focusing hood. As a ground-glass protector, however, it's great, and has the added advantage of always being conveniently present - no fumbling with an extra piece or trying to figure out where to put it once your head is under the cloth. If it functions like the Toyo hood, it should swing out of the way, if needed.

I have been using a Tachihara 4x5 for over 22 years and am more than satified with it capabilities. It is light and folds nicely for field work. I recently bought the current model with the adjustable back that better faciltates the set up for a wide angle lens. I don't think you will be dissapointed. I tried a Shen Ho for a short period but returned it. If you decide to buy one I've found Badger Graphic to be easy to do business with and with competive prices.

I have the Shen-Hao and like it very much. For a ground glass protector you can also get the plexyglass one from Badger for about $20. It is U shaped and very easy to afix and quick to remove. This works much better than the focus hood I had on my Graphic View. If you get it, put a piece of tape on the outside edge to protect the cameras finish.

I used to have a Tachihara. When carrying it around in a lightweight soda can cooler, I just used my dark-cloth as a groundglass protector: Just wrap the whole camera in the cloth, protecting it from scratches, etc.

I used a Fujinon 400T on the Tachihara, and others here have used it on the Shen Hao. Just make sure to avoid vibration, since the whole rig is so light.