Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kudos to SKGrimes

Kudos to SKGrimes

Just wanted to give a shout-out publicly to Adam and Joel @ SKGrimes.

Today I took receipt of a lensboard adapter for my KMV, so I can use standard Sinar-sized boards...

Not "cheap", but the machining is top-notch and the finish is wonderful. I get that "its been done right" feeling now, vs prior times when attempting to go "cheap".

Affixing 4 flanges to boards rounded out the deal, along with 2(gotta have a backup ) new tripod threaded bushings to replace the original(and very stripped) one. Again, all top notch. 6 o'clock positions as marked were lined up perfectly as requested on boards.

This was my first deal with them, and took just around 8 weeks from start to finish. Definitely worth the wait!

Now to load some holders and shoot some film, too much time spent with this "miniature" formats like 6x4.5!

-Dan

Re: Kudos to SKGrimes

Thanks for the 'review' - been thinking about SKG for some stuff of my own lately, it helps to see their work in the hands of a happy customer. ...nice triple convertible lens too! (if that's what it is).

Yup, its an early triple-convertible symmar, and is a dagor clone of sorts.

Very sharp corner to corner, and even works well for color shooting!

Kit is now complete, time to make photographs uninhibited by equipment needs.

Dan

If I wasn't a Sinar/Linhof bigot I'd like that outfit Dan, it looks really sweet on the Ries.

New Orleans, LA

We have work done by S.K. Grimes from time to time and have always been very pleased. A couple of weeks ago the receptionist paged me: "Adam Dau is here to see you." Adam was in town and dropped by the studio to say hello! Had a great visit with him. Now that's personal service!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    If I wasn't a Sinar/Linhof bigot I'd like that outfit Dan, it looks really sweet on the Ries.
    Ya, wasn't planning on getting a Reis(I intentionally mis-spelled it, since that's how the eBay listing had it posted) tripod, but by me simply misspelling the name in a general search, it came up with 15mins to go ! Let's just say I got a deal compared to a new one. One of the collars needed to be replaced, so I called up Ries and they said they had a few in a drawer, they had (2), so I got both of them... The tripod has seen some use, I think it was a surveyors tripod, hence the degree markings on the crown. The head I got new, at the same time as the leg collars w/ hardware... But this tripod is a solid performer, and should provide YEARS of dependable service IMO.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I thought a master view like that would be right up your no nonsense alley, Frank.
    -Chris

They've always done top-notch work for me, expensive but top-notch. When Steve died I thought their service might fall off but not a bit that I've seen.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    I thought a master view like that would be right up your no nonsense alley, Frank.
    I do like them ~ played with one but couldn't afford it years ago. They seem like what a Deardorff should have been if the design didn't stagnant.

Foamer

I just sent my tiny little 3.5 inch FFL Petzval to them to make an F-mount adapter for my Nikon. This is my first time sending them anything.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!