Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobo - worth it?

Jobo - worth it?

Hi all, I recently have been working with a 5x7 and am considering a jobo 3006 tank for my negatives. I've spent the past couple years tray processing 8x10 and have used the jobo tank for the 4x5 as well. I'm on the rocks about whether or not I should go ahead and buy one (they're 525$) or just continue to process them in trays. I've always had a rough time washing the negatives and figured the jobo tank would be a lot easier, but is it really worth all that money?

Re: Jobo - worth it?

I have also been using a tray to develop 4x5,5x7 and 8x10 until recently when I bought a used 3005 drum. I have used it with 5x7 and 8x10 with some success but its been a learning experience. I use a Bessler motor base with the 3005. It takes up less space than trays and will do up to 5 negs at a time, but all at the same processing time . I like it and its consistent with even development.

Mike

I don't know about 5x7, but I've been using my 3006 for 4x5 for quite a few years now and it gives me the most consistent, evenly developed negatives I've ever achieved. (I tried a lot of different dev. techniques over a lot of years, in school and after. Full disclosure - never personally used nitrogen burst tank dev.)

The only thing that gave me as even a development was the "continuous swab" technique once used for processing glass astronomical-emulsion plates. Too time consuming for, and film doesn't just lie there like a glass plate would.

When I bought my 3006 tank new in the '90s, the Canadian price I paid was well in excess of the published US prices and it took a lot of talking to convince the family banker that it was a "necessary" expenditure. I made convincing arguments, bought the tank and I've never regretted it.

One additional point...I've never used the Jobo tank for washing though. I'm not sure how that would work. I've always used hangers and deep tanks for my 4x5 washing. Keeps the negatives from sloshing about and makes them easy to handle.

I love my Jobo for processing 4x5 and 5x7. I mounted some skateboard wheels on a piece of wood and spin it by hand. A bit boring for 20 mins or so. I take them out and wash them in hangers in a Gravity Works washer (saves 20-30 min more rolling.

I've been processing 5x7 and 8x10 single sheets in Cibachrome Mark II drums on Unicolor reversing bases without issue for a while now. You're limited to a single sheet per drum, but with 8x10 and 5x7 I rarely shoot too much at one time. I have four drums and two bases, so I can get four sheets done in sequence pretty easily. No major issues with scratching or other hassles.

I only use 7 oz. of chemistry per drum, so it is economical, and I think I paid around $100 for all four drums and the bases. I'd love to have JOBO equipment, but my bank account says otherwise.

Jonathan

I have been processing my 13x18cm/5x7"/5x8" sheets in Jobo 2830 print drums on Unicolor motor base for the past several years... and would recommend it without a pause (the only exception is stand/semi-stand development, it would need too much chemistry...) The 2830 print drums are significantly cheaper than the Jobo 3000 line...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

A few years ago, a friend of mine gave me his unused CPP2. It sat in my storage until this Summer. I bought 3010 & 2553 drums and had the biggest "Ah-HAH!" moment in the lab ever. I use mine with a RH Designs Process Master-II / temp probe and it is truly brilliant, so consistent, so even, just incredible.

I still do 120 and 35mm rolls in steel tanks when I have a small run or feel like it. But other than that, it's Jobo all the way...

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

i was given a jobo 2 years ago and thought i needed instructions... a million scratched negs later, i took a look at it at realized it was extreeeeeemly simple. just switch on the button that oscillates and set temp.

now i have scratch free negs but am getting drip stains, which i think is putting dev into dry negs, so i am pre soaking them and it so far seems to work.

the only and newest hesitation i have is when i was looking at ansells neg book, and he has a comparrison of a constant agitation v intermittent, 10 secs every min
    \
    the intermittent looked much better!!!!
    through a glass darkly...

Eric Nelson

For me it's about the bottom line.

Will you save enough $ via lower chemistry volumes to pay for the expenditure of $525 for a tank (that can break) and will you see enough improvement in your negs to at least make a technical improvement?
    If you're happy w/trays and don't have any issues with that, then I'd say stay with them. If you're having development issues then trying a new method may be worth the money.

I say this as a longtime Jobo user and proponent with reservations. 120 film can easily get 'road ruts' in a Jobo 1500 series drum and with sheet film, one can get some irregularities with 5x7 w/the 3005, or at least that was my experience using PMK. Perhaps Pyrocat HD would work better for me if I ever run 5x7 again, but to get back on point, my recommendation is if one can find a "bargain" for a Jobo drum or processor, get it. My 3005 drum was originally $200 new back in the '90's if that helps put things in perspective.
    There's nothing magical that happens by using Jobos, but for pyro and sheet film, it's a good way to go if you use it a lot.

Jobos work great. That's why they can sell plastic for so much money!
    For 5x7 you really don't have many options besides Jobo. I don't think BTZS makes 5x7 tubes, although you could probably use an 8x10 tube.
    I've never seen a slosher but you could make one for 4 sheets to fit in a Patterson 14x17 inch tray.
    For B&W, I am not sure the Jobo processor is worth it. I use a motor base and it works fine.