Thread: Richard Misrach books

Richard Misrach books

Hi,
    I'm seeking help determining the differences between some of Richard Misrach's books.
    He has a book called Desert Cantos http://www.amazon.com/Desert-Cantos-.../dp/0826309283
    and another called Crimes and Splendors:The Desert Cantos of Richard Misrach http://www.amazon.com/Crimes-Splendo...+and+splendors

Can anyone tell me which of the two is the more complete version of this aspect of Misrach's photography? Amazon's sinfully ugly website is light on useful information and heavy on opportunities to upsize your purchases.

Jon

Re: Richard Misrach books

OK, Photo-Eye has some better information.
    Crimes and Splendors (published 1996) is "the first comprehensive survey of the work-in-progress, including more than sixty images which have never been published or exhibited before"
    And the listing for Violent Legacies, not mentioned above, is " three new series, or `cantos,' of photographs as part of his ongoing project focusing on the destructive effects of nuclear testing in the American desert"
    Desert Cantos is not really further described but was published 1987, so I am assuming its works are also in Crimes/Splendors...

Jon

Drew Wiley

Desert Cantos is the best representation of his classic early desert projects. The handful
    of iconic images he has made are largely in there, though obviously not with the same impact (or lack of impact - he liked very soft prints) of seeing actual large prints. After a
    certain point his images start looking redundant, and I really don't know what would be
    significantly new in the later edition. He has since published some non-desert projects of
    a very different character, which I personally find pretty boring - but to each his own.

Thanks Drew,
    It is the desert stuff I am interested in, not the On The Beach or Katrina projects.

Jon

I recomended you his book chronologies , it is a master piece of his work.