Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I doing an exercise in futility?

Smile Am I doing an exercise in futility?

I am new to this forum and want to get back into film photography and processing. Mainly 4x5 large format. I have been collecting large format darkroom and photography equipment for the past 10 years. I have a Omega D5 XL enlarger with all the bells and whistles and both a Super Speed Graphic and a Calumet NX view camera with several Schnieder lenes. I enjoyed 35mm color and black and white processing back in the 70's and have had my equipment in storage since then. I recently aquired space for a nice darkroom and photography studio basically for free and have begun to set up my equipment which now includes 4x5 large format. My wife is tired of all my storage boxes taking up space in the garage!! I always enjoyed working with the films chemicals papers etc. Its more fun than digital by a long shot for me. Am I starting an exercise in futility? Is 4x5 film still avaliable and will it continue to be avaliable. How about papers and chemicals. How do 4x5 film enlargements or contact photos and transparencies compare to digital quality?

Re: Am I doing an exercise in futility?

It is not an exercise in futility. 4x5 is still readily available in B/W and colour, as well as chemicals (not sure about chemicals for colour though, as I have always worked in B/W). Large format can kick digital arse in many respects as far as quality goes... but that's just my opinion. Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by dteesben View Post
    ... How do 4x5 film enlargements or contact photos and transparencies compare to digital quality?
    This is almost impossible to answer precisely, and also the "right" answer would differ a lot. I have seen some tests saying that MF digital is at least on par with 4x5" film - but for what price, what comparison parameters,... And how would you feel with such a costly equipment (meaning digital). There are some things that are difficult/impossible to do with anything else than large format film cameras - you can't beat optics and physical laws, not everything can be minimized to be used on digital cameras...

If you don't mind (or even better if you enjoy) the hassle of using LF equipment, of developing your films, then certainly Go for it!
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

When people ask me why I still have a B&W darkroom, I answer, "because I feel like it". When it comes to personal art, I think its a pretty good answer. That way you can stay out of the whole "film vs digital" argument, both with yourself and others.

Like they used to say, if it feels good, do it.

To learn something is never futile. Even if you stop using 4x5 after a few years, what you will learn from it can give you better insight of yourself and your art.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Am I starting an exercise in futility? Is 4x5 film still avaliable and will it continue to be avaliable. How about papers and chemicals. How do 4x5 film enlargements or contact photos and transparencies compare to digital quality?
    It is only an exercise in futility if you do nothing. Then you have wasted a lot of money on strange paper weights.

4x5 film will be available as long as any other film is available. When its manufacture stops, nobody really knows. And if that happens, then we can make film at home. (Not as good as Kodak, Ilford or Fuji, but serviceable enough.)

A while back there was a 80Mp to 8x10 comparison. As for quality of the print, that depends on you, since you'll be the one making them. Practice makes perfect, so start photographing and printing!
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Is 4x5 film still avaliable and will it continue to be avaliable. How about papers and chemicals. How do 4x5 film enlargements or contact photos and transparencies compare to digital quality?
    4x5 film hasn't been available for ten years now. Paper and chemicals are illegal in most states. And digital is superior to film in the same way papayas are superior to paper clips.

Cheese and fries...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

(Shrek)

If you're posting the question here, I would say you have already decided.

Nuts.
    Hassle?,Certainly.In Spades.
    Rewards-Huge.
    "It don't mean a thing,if it aint got that swing".
    And tilt,and shift..

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    4x5 film hasn't been available for ten years now. Paper and chemicals are illegal in most states. And digital is superior to film in the same way papayas are superior to paper clips.

Cheese and fries...
    Mark, I just looked on B&H site. They still sell sheet film.