Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10 for Wet Plate

Re: 8x10 for Wet Plate

For really small, easy quarterplates, you can use a Speed Graphic or small 3x4 camera. Here is a plate I shot the other day, and I used an old Graflex Film Pack adapter as a wetplate holder. There are lots of options and costs, you can shoot plate in a system from $150 to $1500.

I agree with Garrett. You have many options at a range of price points. The first question is probably whether you will shoot wet plate exclusively or whether you want a camera that can shoot film as well. Once you know that, the choices will become more limited. The second question is what kinds of lenses you are considering, as this will guide your choice of camera or, more specifically, lens board size.

I started out using film, hence my recommendation of the Kodak Master. If weight isn't a big deal to you, one option within the film camera realm is to buy an inexpensive monorail. I have a Sinar P, but I almost always reach for the Kodak (which is why I'm going to sell the Sinar).

To answer your other question, I don't remember what I paid for the Kodak. I bought it 8 years ago after taking a workshop with Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee (they were nice enough to sell me one of their cameras). Like you, I haven't seen them for sale very often. As for workshops, Kerik did a one-on-one workshop at his house. I highly recommend it. Not only will you be able to get up to speed immediately, but Kerik is a wonderful person, and the surrounding areas within 30 minutes (wineries) or a few hours (Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Mono Lake) are beautiful.

I've got these in the works. A modern field 8x10 plate camera. Everything beefed up a bit for the large lenses as well as the plates. Large 7" lensboard. These images are just sort of a sneak peek. I've still got to do the finish work. I'm doing three right now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	field 2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	82472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	field 1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	82473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	field 3.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	82474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	field 4.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	82475

Wow, so much info. I'm mentally processing... I really like the idea of the Kodak Master View, but some of these wood cameras are just stunning. Tony K. told me about a great one-on-one he took with Kerik K. and sent me this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-SuKqtH5KQ

I'm sure many of you know about this, but I just discovered the FaceBook Wet Plate Collodion Group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/44113752162/

A lot of people just starting out and other more accomplished users. Nice to see people with new work on a daily basis.

I'll have some more questions soon, this thread is great!

Jon
    www.jonwitsell.com

Red face Re: 8x10 for Wet Plate

Hi T.G.,

Nice camera. I didn't see or missed pricing on your website. What does one of those babys run?

Jon

P.M.ed.

I don't know if you all have seen this, but it looks like a gorgeous book:

http://www.oldphotographiclenses.com/

Jon