Thread: Questions for who had their works displayed in galleries.

Questions for who had their works displayed in galleries.

Hi,

I was wondering, if I approach to a gallery with my works and they ask me to bring in the original works, Do I need to have all my works printed and framed in ready to show the owner?

Let's say I'm doing a 40x50" from 4x5 negatives. That means about $1000 for 10 drum scans and about $5000 for 10 works of digital c-print and good quality framing each work. $6000 sounds pretty insane. Is this how it works?

Every galleries are probably different but generally does the gallery request you the size they want?
    Is a good size of portfolio is all I need when I approach galleries?

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Questions for who had their works displayed in galleries.

Think of it more as a gradual courtship - use your website to pique interest, have a manageable, affordable, and maintainable portfolio to show in person, and maybe do a large print for your own home/office display as a gauge of quality.

Generally, a curator or gallerist will do a studio visit, meaning they want to see a lot of your work and get a sense of who you are as a person. At this stage they don't expect to see the work in collector-ready format. For example, they probably would not mind prints pinned to the wall -- they're smart enough to know that when images are framed, they look better.

So, don't shell out thousands for framing until you're certain the work will show.

However, If you have a particular sort of framing or presentation strategy in mind, it's better to have that ready to see at a studio visit. Some artists I know keep available some ready-to-sell pieces and some unframed.

Two words of caution: Don't underestimate the costs of preparing work for a show. And, don't underestimate the difficulty of getting curators/gallerists interested in your work.

Definitely not all framed...but matted. In a quality portfolio box, if at all possible!

Does not have to be full-size, though you will want to have some examples of finished prints at the size to be shown. For example, instead of all 40"x50" prints, have a portfolio of quality 11x14 prints high-quality matted in about 16x20 (or 16x20, matted 22x28) in a professional portfolio box. Have one or two examples of the 40x50 prints to show you can make that size quality prints. If you have a special way of presenting them (on aluminum, for example) bring one 'ready to hang'.

Prove to them that you can do it.

But (IMO) important points:

Know the gallery and their personal requirements for seeing work...one size does not fit all.
    Meet those requirements.
    Don't waste a gallery's time be showing the type of work that they do not ever carry.
    Have a resume ready to give them.
    Never just walk in with a portfolio -- always get an appointment.

And in the words of Terry Allen...

Ahhh...You better look good
    Yeah...you better act right
    'cause,
    the Art Mob's out tonight!

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Most galleries today want to see work digitally. I'd generally suggest snooping around their website for any information on a review policy. The higer end the gallery, the less likely that they'll post such information, so you'll have to email. If they write back, they'll tell you what to send them. Usually a handful of low res jpegs and a cv, maybe a statement. Many specify that they don't look at work on websites ... probably they've seen too many insuferable ones. If they are interested i your work at this point, they may ask to see prints. Then you should present them in whatever way is most appropriate to the work. Maybe it's traditional window mats; maybe it's a hundred 4x6 prints hot-glued to a zebra hide. Whatever works.

The biggest obstacle I've found is that most galleries, at least established ones, have a full roster and aren't looking for new artists.