Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: View Camera Conference

View Camera Conference

Oops! Thanks for the clarification Dean - apparently that means I missed two, and there are actually seven. Does that count as repetitive yet? I was only referring to the ones posted inappropriately (because of their quantity) in the general forum, rather than the workshop specific one. As I'm too useless to post the links (a point which is probably becoming antisocial, so I should work on it), I posted their dates. You can easily come across them by clicking on Steve's name.
    I guess this finally puts paid to the article I hoped to submit some years hence...

View Camera Conference

For the record I have posted announcement about the View Camera Conference on

Sept 18, 2003 Dec 12, 2003 Jan 6, 2004 Jan 26, 2004 March 14, 2004

other postings I have made about the conference are in response to responses/questions.

When I clicked on my name to see all the posts I have made there are almost 3 pages. The vast majority are in response to questions about a variety of questions about lenses, films, film developing techniques, etc.

steve simmons

View Camera Conference

Just an idea. How about a link at the top of the page titled "Events" -- with one click you can see a dated list of various LF events (workshops, seminars, etc.) for the current month. Since most of these activities are planned well in advance, I don't think that it would be too difficult to have a calender page that is current and easily maintained.

I think that it would be great to click on a link that provides a calendar page with a list of various activities taking place for that particular month. Like I said, just an idea. What do you think?

View Camera Conference

I can't imagine anyone seriously objecting to Steve's post. It struck me as a perfectly reasonable pointer to a free event that must be of huge interest to many of this forum's readers. "View Camera" is, effectively, the academic journal for our particular obsession. Long may it prosper.

View Camera Conference

Matt Long's idea is an excellent one. This site being LF central on the Internet, it would be entirely appropriate to have a section listing workshops (free or commercial), lectures, exhibitions, new books of LF work, and so on. Then those interested in equipment would not have to look at it if they did not want to and those who were interested in that kind of information could easily find it.

View Camera Conference

Steve,

I have just posted a reminder about the View Camera Magazine conference on the f32.net Large Fomat Forum :-) It would be great to attend but it is touch and go at the moment.

I wish you all the best and hope that the conference is a great success. Anything that promotes large format photography should be supported by our community.

Cheers,

Clive

View Camera Conference

Mr. Simmons already has an entire website to advertise his products. The remaining question is whether he can use other people's sites. He is not the only person in respect of which this is an issue. There are other people on this site doing it, and currently there is a participant in photo.net who ends just about every response to a question with a reference to one of his books. It is quite obvious that these people are marketing their products through other people's sites and are disguising it in one way or another. Either commerical announcements are allowed, or they are not, and it does not take a rocket scientist to distinguish between commercial and non-commercial. Myself, I think that Mr. Simmons should market his products on his own site. If that is not the arrangement, then I think that the alleged difference between this site photo.net is disintigrating and that the owners of this site should go down the photo.net road and have the sense to charge for advertising.

View Camera Conference

Rory,

I am amazed that you do not want people to know about free articles and activities that foster large format photography. This info helps all of us as it encourages manufacturers/distributors see there is a market and it helps photographers see that lf is something that can be done and may not be as difficult as they may have thought.

steve simmons

View Camera Conference

Steve,

You are not running a non-profit organization, you are running a business. The post that started this thread refers not just to the trade show, but to acdtivities for which you are charging an entrance fee. No doubt you expect the trade show itself to generate money, either because it entices people to go to the conference events or because you are charging the exhibitors. As for "free articles" on your website, the function of these is to help sell subscriptions to your magazine. Given that you charge people to advertise on your own website, what gives you the idea that you have the right to advertise your products on other people's sites for free?

If this is the way this site is going to be run, my own view is that it should be opened up completely. Participation and pitches by camera, lens, film and acessories manufacturers would frankly be more informative than participation by people hawking magazine subscriptions, conferences and workshops.

View Camera Conference

Given that you charge people to advertise on your own website, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

who is paying for ads on the View Camera web site??? Please get your facts straight before posting inaccurate statements.

The trade show is offering people a chance to see and play with more lf equipment than any other place except for possibly the trade show in NYC in the fall. People do not have to pre-register and can come and go without us knowing who they are. Free with no strings.

The free articles are full of substantive info that has helped hundreds of people. They can go to the site and get the info free and with no strings. We do not track who comes and goes and do not send any type of followup solicitation.

I am sorry you have a problem with this service. The purpose of this forum, and others, is to provide info to people with an interest in lf photography. That is what we are doing and we are doing it without any cost to the person getting the info.

steve simmons