Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Darkroom in laundry room?

Re: Darkroom in laundry room?

My darkroom was in the laundry room for too many years. I got very good at spotting prints. An electrostatic air cleaner helped a little.

John Olsen

I plumbed a darkroom into a laundry room in Albuquerque and a bathroom in Denver. In both cases I kept the enlarger in the next room with black plastic over the windows. To keep down dust problems the laundry and the bath became dedicated to photography in each case. I dried film in a bedroom closet. Maybe the neighbors wondered what was behind the aluminum foil window coverings, but I stayed out of their drug deals in exchange. Just keep wiping surfaces down, preferably the night before, and you should be OK. Oh yes, use a lint filter when you do laundry (at the laundromat) and wear clean clothes when you work in your darkspace. Good luck.

Are you a man or a mouse? Set it up in the best location, like the kitchen, and tell them it's important, end of story. Remember you are the photographer, everything else is secondary.

Make sure you get an AIR FILTER, not an AIR PURIFIER. One cleans the air of dust and the other is a new-age device that makes you more healthy, live longer ( ha!).
    Also, realize that dust on the wet emulsion will permanently adhere to the film. It won't come off later. So, that is the crucial time. Dust on the negatives when they are dry is only a nuisance. Dust on wet negatives is potential permanent damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Are you a man or a mouse? Set it up in the best location, like the kitchen, and tell them it's important, end of story. Remember you are the photographer, everything else is secondary.
    Frank, Your comments always make so much sense. It is important, so no shared space. No mixing with my three main activities, eat, shi*, sleep. What's left over? What about the living room? I can't remember the last time I shared tea and crumpets with my genteel neighbors. It is the most underutilized room in the house. Time to rethink.

My laundry room is in my darkroom, just once a week, on Thursdays. That is the day when I might admonish our cleaning lady to remove any extra dust she created, after she is finished with laundry. The rest of the week we have peace, helped with naturally humid Irish air.

I do not dry film there, however, preferring a shower enclosure, instead.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles