Thread: Will a Ries J-100 hold an aluminum C-1?

Will a Ries J-100 hold an aluminum C-1?

At least to begin with.

I don't own a Reis, Jim, but I often use a wimpy Bogen 3220 with my Tachihara 8x10, so I would think the J100, with a good head, would be OK with the C-1.

I would be extremely (seriously, extremely) surprised if it didn't do the job very well. The published weight ratings on the Ries tripods seem to be way under what they're capable of safely supporting.

The late Cole Weston had no problem as I recall. Check the mags. I believe you can find ads for the Ries with Cole proudly standing next to his C-series 8x10.

Cool. Thanks, guys.

Jim, I have a Ries J-100 and regularly use a 5x7 Linhof which weighs in at about 15 pounds (with lens) and I'm content with the stability. Also, the tripod supports an 8X10 Kodak Master View which is a little lighter, but with almost a 3' bellows extension does fine job. I know the C-1 is somewhat heavier but the J-100 will do the job for you. Also, as a side note, when I bought the tripod used it had a 1/4 inch mount and I also needed a 3/16 inch mount. One quick call to the Ries company and the new one was at my doorstep in two days. Great service.

The J-100, can hold my 8x10 Sinar P very well.

I have the J100-2, which has the crown of a 'J' and the beefed up legs of the 'A' cut to the length of a regular J100.

It is ROCK solid. It does however have the disadvantage of being quite heavy.

It gets used with my 8x10 Ansco, but it's too heavy for 4x5 use, for which the Gitzo 1345 or the Uni-Loc come into service.

Customer care from Ries is second to none. Very helpful and they do the job right.

Don't be tempted to buy the Ries carry-case, unless you plan to 'check' your tripod when flying, it's really a 'shipping' case. But it's too long to fit in my car's trunk. It's fabulously made, tough material on the outside and fleece lined on the inside. Just wish that it was shorter !!

The simple answer is yes. I have a J100 and have done exactly that with no problems at all. But I would recommend that you also use a Ries tripod head. They are as solid as a rock.