Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carl Weese workshop in Ruskin (near Tampa) beginning on Oct 15

Re: Carl Weese workshop in Ruskin (near Tampa) beginning on Oct 15

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    He's presenting at Ruskin because it's on the route for the southern leg of his big American Drive-ins project...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-movie-theater

...and because he was invited by a local group that's enthusiastic about his work and excited about the opportunity to learn from an accomplished artist and teacher. Have you followed the link and looked at the full range of activities and audiences that Carl has included in his program?
    No I haven't and I certainly didn't intend to criticize Carl Weese or his work or the workshop itself. Ruskin just happens to be an area I know well since I lived in Tampa most of my life and it seemed like an odd place for a photography workshop. But if anything I said was taken as a criticism of Carl, his work, or his workshop, my apologies, I certainly didn't intend that and don't think I said anything that could reasonably be interpreted that way.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian ... my humble apologies ... i did not mean to be contentious ... i used to live in michigan and used to cross on the ferry from Ludington and Manitowoc all the time long ago.. I have photoed all in the area including Minnesota and the upper Peninsula... even parts of Canada . I moved to Florida because i hated the cold... I fell in love with the history and nature here. But i miss the part of the world you are in.....in the summer... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    Brian ... my humble apologies ... i did not mean to be contentious ... i used to live in michigan and used to cross on the ferry from Ludington and Manitowoc all the time long ago.. I have photoed all in the area including Minnesota and the upper Peninsula... even parts of Canada . I moved to Florida because i hated the cold... I fell in love with the history and nature here. But i miss the part of the world you are in.....in the summer... :-)
    No need for an apology Mike, I didn't think you were being contentious. I love the Tampa area, I'll always consider it my home. I view my time here and in Oregon as extended vacations. : - )
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I live in the Tampa area. I found this Wat Tampa temple a rather unique location.
    http://wattampainenglish.com/index.p...=59&Itemid=189
    It is in the Ruskin area. Anyone going to one of the workshops might be interested.

First session is over, lasted about 90 minutes. Nicely attended, from teens to geezers.
    Basically he showed (digital projector) his work over the last 40 years. I was amazed -- the early work (especially the color) was so bad and amaturish that I cringed, but by the time that he got to the current stuff, the compositions were just absolutely beautiful. I don't think that he uttered a single word about technique.
    I look forward to the next session, Wednesday evening.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Tonight he discussed "Kickstarter," which is how his present project on Drive-In theatres is financed. Tomorrow is a demo of Large Format cameras (8x10 and 7x17).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

If you are interested in Carl's work then it's worth listening to http://www.rogeroverall.net/blog/tdp...ese-drive-ins/
    Disclaimer:Roger is a friend, he's also got podcast interview with Simon Norfolk and one coming up with David Burnett.
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France