Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: If I knew then what I know now....

That's a camera?

Re: If I knew then what I know now....

I only regret that some of the time and money spent on gear that turned out to be superfluous to what I really need took away from opportunities to shoot or gain access. I guess I've learned to value the subject matter more than the gear.

i'd have spent a lot less money...and given a lot less money to the likes of UPS and Fedex. lol

if someone had told me a few years ago that i'd end up doing everything with essentially 2 lenses and 2 lights, i'd have raised an eyebrow for sure. or that i'd be really into film again.

i also sorta wish i'd just moved to new york on a whim and given it a shot. (on my list for next summer).

i'd also have played high school football instead of going to music conservatory...but that's entirely unrelated. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by dmeckert View Post
    i'd have spent a lot less money...and given a lot less money to the likes of UPS and Fedex. lol

if someone had told me a few years ago that i'd end up doing everything with essentially 2 lenses ...

i'd also have played high school football instead of going to music conservatory...but that's entirely unrelated. haha.
    dmeckert,

me too......

With some of the insane prices I see on eBay I think I can retire if I sell the stuff.

Somebody had an FR sheet film tank listed for nine hundred dollars a few weeks ago.

I think it was complete with the instructions, which obviously made it more valuable.

No regrets regarding gear. In the nearly six decades of shooting the only regret was not shooting everything I saw. I did a good job at it but looking back I wish I had shot even more. When your young you don't see the world changing and then when you do realize it it's too late. My thing is documentary photography of the Appalachian culture, serpent handling churches, moonshiners, cock fights and etc. it almost totally gone now but at least I have about one hundred thousand nets.

I would have made an effort to attend a Yosemite workshop and meet Ansel Adams. Not to be one of those folks who love to say "studied with Ansel Adams" on their photographic resume. But just to meet him. I've had a few conversations with John Sexton over the years (one of Ansel's assistants and a great photographer in his own right) and he's told me some amazing stories of Ansel's practices and ways of working. I think to meet him would have been an inspiration and a tremendous memory to carry with me.

Mr Petronio, I was curious about your statement, " I would have shot negatives instead of chromes". I was wondering what your thinking was on that. Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Peterson View Post
    Mr Petronio, I was curious about your statement, " I would have shot negatives instead of chromes". I was wondering what your thinking was on that. Thanks a lot.
    I would have spent less on film (bracketing) and gotten more usable results had I shot negatives rather than slides and chromes.

Thanks for your insight Frank.

I would have enjoyed my youth more and worried less about trying to be what was expected of me.