Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Film Dryer?

Re: DIY Film Dryer?

You really only need a filter for the air intake. There's no real need to have forced air at all -- negs dry primarily just by dripping. Not sure if blowing air on it is worth the risk of blowing dust -- and dust is unavoidable unless your darkroom is in a cleanroom.

Certainly there's no need for forced air (and I agree only have a filter on the intake). But I can tell you that when it's the depths of the Oregon winter, having my negs dry and dust-free in 20 minutes beats the usual 2 or 3 hours required by drip-drying in the traditional fashion. I work in a rented studio, with unfortunately little control over dust generated by my co-artists, so active drying is a better method for me.

--John

Just make a little cabinet (or get a free ugly one from craigslist) with a lightbulb inside for a little heat. Done.

Long ago, newspaper darkrooms used an alcohol bath for the final film rinse when speed was essential. The alcohol evaporated rapidly. Total time from film into the darkroom to damp prints ready for the halftone shot was maybe 10 minutes. However, quality photography deserves better treatment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG (4).jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	82519Discovered a 1941 Popular Mechanics Press "Photo Guide" at our library book sale this week. Amongst scores of do it your self projects was this one.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Long ago, newspaper darkrooms used an alcohol bath for the final film rinse when speed was essential. The alcohol evaporated rapidly. Total time from film into the darkroom to damp prints ready for the halftone shot was maybe 10 minutes. However, quality photography deserves better treatment.
    I squirt some alcohol on as a final rinse instead of photoflo. Its got similar wetting properties and dries quickly of course. (I use the 70-85% drugstore aisle stuff) It's also very clean (no residue or drying marks, at least the walmart stuff)

I poke a small hole in the safety seal and leave the safety seal on, and it's a nice spray container.