Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: photography light tent

photography light tent

is there a large photography tent that will hold a dress form. i do not want to make one. want the same look that a photo tent gives but for clothing. can anyone help?

photography light tent

I've never seen one for sale that big. Calumet used to sell big reflector/diffusers on collapsible frames. An important part of studio photgraphy, though, is the ability to invent solutions to these kinds of problems.

photography light tent

Here is some help to get you started, but like Mark wrote part of this is about inventing solutions. You will have to tune this set-up to get exactly what you want.

Buy two big quarter or half stop silks, eight to twelve feet square would be good. Hang them placed in a "V" with your camera at the apex (or leave a space there to shoot through if that puts your camera too close), they make two sides of your three sided tent. Light them with a couple of flashes on each, lights pulled back far enough that the output covers the whole silk. The backdrop is your choice of whatever background color you want. If you want your dress form "floating in white limbo" use bright white seamless.

The cheaper alternative is (might be good if you are doing this only once) to set up your seamless on an outside wall with the subject and background lit by the open sky. Adding a few white foamboard reflectors will get you a nice effect for almost no money.

photography light tent

Why don't you make one up out of white sheets...? Suspend them with light stands and cross bars, cloths line or anything like that? Put one on either side and have an appropriate background for the product.

photography light tent

Hinge two 4'x8' white foamcore boards on the long side - use white gaffers. It will be self-standing in a V-shape. Place two heads - one high and one low and point the heads into the corner of the V-shape. Makes a nice soft light.
    John V.
    ScanHi-End Moderator

photography light tent

I have one.

I had it made for table-top-on-glass, for silver etc., but the glass is removable.

The table width is adjusable up to about half background sheet (4 feet) square glass, with support built into the table for a full width background sheet tent pole, with a double sheet on it. I use flexible tent poles to support the corners/edges of the tent. The height of the tent is adjustable up to about seven feet (>2m).

With 100asa and standard white background paper 6,000 ws gives f16-22 with all diffused light

I am on the Warks/Oxon/Glos border - where are you?

photography light tent

i live in california USA. if i was to make one what is the best fabric to use?

photography light tent

I used ordinary white photographic background paper, but any translucent white sheet would do.

If you are in the rag trade and the material will not be likely to get dirty or damaged...

Net curtain material may be too translucent, giving some modelling, but if you are not photographing silver - why not? You could use it double in direct line to the lights.

Thinner, more translucent material will need less light - what lights have you got?

If you are always going to use it in the same room, you can save a great deal of money by hanging the tent from the ceiling, walls or whatever.

I not not think there is much useful additional information, but you might like to have a look at my thread "photographing silver" on photonet/Medium Format.

photography light tent

is silk a good fabric to use? what type of lights watts is best for this?

photography light tent

Silk is fine albeit expensive... try going to an Army/Navy store and look at some parachutes. Strobes will work fine, tungsten lights require tungsten film or an 80A filter and when using T film, don't have daylight mixed as it will create a blue cast.