Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a lens shade?

Re: Do I need a lens shade?

Denney, There are 2 of them. Pictures look nice, can't say more than that. That is why I'm asking the question,
    Not savy enough to post links, but the item #'s are:
    270818949065 $169
    280732737609 $139
    I do not see how you would run the cable release, any suggestions, and opinions on these two "Made in China" shades.
    Thanks, Bill

Okay, I see that now. Here's the link to the first one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270818949065...065%26_rdc%3D1

(Image from the ad, so it will go away when the ad does.)

I've never seen one of these before, but it is clearly intended to be used on a Sinar. This is an aftermarket product that simulates what we've been talking about using genuine Sinar parts. It looks as though it would work fine.

You can slide the rear of the shade as easily as the front. Just slide it forward on that rod far enough to provide access to the sides of the shutter. That will provide room for your fingers and for the cable release.

Now, take that same concept, and instead of buying that off-brand purpose-built product, get the rod, clips and standard bellows separately. The clips attach to the corner of the standard bellows, and then slide over the rod, same as you see. The difference is that it's cheaper and the bellows are standard bellows that can be used on the camera.

Follow this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINAR-BELLOW...21130417549%26

It shows the standard Sinar setup, using real Sinar parts, which we are recommending. That bellows is the same as what's already on your camera, so it can be a spare. You can also use the bag bellows as a shade, in case you need one of those in your kit anyway.

Rick "wishing he had a handy photo from the side, showing access to the shutter" Denney

The nice thing about the Sinar-built shade contraption is that you have a spare bellows just in case you need it as well. Or use some old pinholed trashed bellows for $10 or free. Why give any more money to China for copying Western designs using slave labor?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

It really looks pretty nice. But I really agree with Frank. Not just because of the ethics issue, but the way they seem to have labeled it "Sinar" when it is really "for Sinar".

I shoot a lot of backlit desert/mountain scenes and a lens shade is a must have item. I like the Lindahl rig as you can use it for WA or screw in a couple of posts and add an extension for long glass, they're on ebay all the time and cost about $15-20 used.

Rick,
    I just put in a bid for $80, think that will get'er done?
    Thanks for your help, I appreciate the fact that I'll have a spare bellows.
    Bill

How do you handle the cable release, without it showing up in the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill, 70's military B&W View Post
    How do you handle the cable release, without it showing up in the picture?
    The cable release screws into the side of the shutter. The side of the shutter is not blocked by the bellows. The back edge of the bellows is lined up with the front edge of the lens, and the front edge of the bellows is stretched out as far as possible without becoming part of the photograph. You have full access to the sides of the shutter, and the cable release does not go through the bellows at all.

Rick "who is apparently going to have to set up the camera and take a picture of it" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Bill, 70's military B&W View Post
    Rick,
    I just put in a bid for $80, think that will get'er done?
    Maybe. But you just announced that to a large percentage of your potential bidding competitors.

There's another auction with the clips and rod for $40 Buy It Now, and then you can scrounge someone's pinholed bellows for cheap, as Frank suggested. This stuff is almost always available on Ebay at any given moment.

Rick "not a competitor...this time" Denney

Rick,
    I assumed that the shade covered the entire lens. The way you describe it does not sound bad at all.
    Is it possible to use Cokin Filters with it?
    And the members of this Forum are honorable photographers and they would never use that kind of information to out bid me. Right?
    Bill