Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Black jacket focusing cloth users...

Re: Black jacket focusing cloth users...

I'm a big fan of my blackjacket. The material is slippery so that it isn't grabby, and it gets away with being slipper because of the elastic camera hole. I put my loupe in my left hand, stick it through the sleeve, stick my head in the opening, and leave my right hand out to adjust the camera. It blocks like coming from below better than any conventional dark cloth, and it's opaque without being bulky and heavy. It folds easily into its bag, unlike those things that require specialized origami to return into their containers. Most importantly, I have not cussed at it nor thrown it to the ground in disgust, and it's the first focusing cloth I've used that has achieved that.

Rick "who has used all the other usual options at one time or another" Denney

I cherish my blackjacket! Keith and Annette Walklet, who make them, are among the finest photographers and people there are.
    Thad Gerheim

I use one for 8x10 and like it very much. My arms in the sleeves assist in keeping it off the ground glass when it is windy. For 4x5 and 5x7 I just use a heavy black T-shirt which works well also. The Black Jacket is much easier to handle and use than my 5'x7' dark cloth which is a must for the 7x17. It also folds up very small and is easy to pack.

Andy, your description of me almost gave me a heart attack (inside joke). I'm with Frank on this one. The BlackJacket is great but does take a bit of setup time (I had the one with the dark slide removal slot so proper orientation on the camera was important. Also you need a different BlackJacket for each camera format. These days I travel light and just use a piece of blackout cloth (white) which I painted black on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by aporodagon View Post
    Also you need a different BlackJacket for each camera format.
    I use my 8x10 Blackjacket on my 4x5 camera with no problems at all.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

1) I generally carry one, but have also never quite worked out how to use the sleeves with my camera as effectively as demonstrated on the site.

2) Very good, thoughtful construction.

3) I think they're all constructed of heavy duty waterproof and/or breathable fabrics.

But then, there's also this:

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    (snipped, stuff that I mostly agree with...)

But then, there's also this: (Video of using a plain parka)
    There is not one parka on that guy's list that costs less than the Blackjacket. The idea must be that we already have a parka. But if it's cold enough to need a parka, I want to be wearing the damn thing.

And I can have my Blackjacket set up and in use by the time he is done futzing with the zipper, let alone the elastic waistband or whatever.

And then there's the size rolled up. My Blackjacket fits inside my Sinar case, along with all the other stuff I carry in that case, which is a lot.

Rick "who'd use a cheapie bed throw if the Blackjacket was really too expensive" Denney

I've used a BlackJacket for several years now. No complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    There is not one parka on that guy's list that costs less than the Blackjacket. The idea must be that we already have a parka. But if it's cold enough to need a parka, I want to be wearing the damn thing.

And I can have my Blackjacket set up and in use by the time he is done futzing with the zipper, let alone the elastic waistband or whatever.

And then there's the size rolled up. My Blackjacket fits inside my Sinar case, along with all the other stuff I carry in that case, which is a lot.

Rick "who'd use a cheapie bed throw if the Blackjacket was really too expensive" Denney
    "Snippy" today aren't we?

The zipper and waistband only need be be sized once, unless you are wearing it prior to shooting, for any size view camera up to 11X14, larger depending on how tubby you are. The circumstance for the video is that it is a versatile, make-do item, something one might already have and decide to carry with them anyhow. The fact is that such an item works at least as well as any other 'darkcloth' on the market. It has been worn many times descending a trail in the cool of the evening, having used it for both wind and rain protection and shooting earlier in the day. Technical windbreakers of the type shown sell from $40 - $80 new, but then they can be worn for full outer layer protection against the elements. The black one shown was a $5 return. Sometimes weight and cost are an issue. Carry two. Carry it and a Blackjacket (I have both). Carry it and a black t-shirt and a Blackjacket!

You are correct that a simple windbreaker, doesn't require an expensive camera case in which to be stowed.

The video was intended to be a lighthearted look at an inexpensive, versatile item. It is not commercial in any way. Are you really that upset that there could be a practical option to the BlackJacket? It's an option, buddy – don't get all worked up over it.

ROL "who now wonders what financial stake Rick has in the BlackJacket?"

I got the 5x7 for my 4x5 just in case I run into a bout of GAS. Works well.