Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight 8x10 Advice

Re: Lightweight 8x10 Advice

I recall that Wehman 8x10 was one of the lightest camera in that format (around 3.5 kg if my memory serves me well). It seems that these are no longer in production though. Then there are cameras from Richard Ritter - his 8x10 is around 3kg.
    Matus

My Shen Hao TFC810 weighs 3.6Kg, and for a new camera it is comparatively inexpensive.

Isn't the "new" Ritter one of the lightest 8x10 cameras?
    http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html

I'm happy with 4x5 and have no experience with 8x10, but when Richard Ritter came out with his new 8x10, the specifications seemed pretty impressive.

Jeff Keller

When I go out in the field with my "heavy" Tachihara triple extension camera plus lenses plus holders plus backpack plus tripod plus .....etc, etc, I'm carrying about 26 kilograms. If the camera weighed nothing the total comes to 21 kilograms. A lightweight camera is worth searching for but the gain is small compared to the rest of the gear.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    A lightweight camera is worth searching for but the gain is small compared to the rest of the gear.
    You sure have that right!

A simple hobo style box camera with helical focusing dedicated to your 210mm lens. You can make an offset drilled lensboard to supply limited movements.
    Rob the helical off an old plastic Graflex and the back from your B&J. Make a box out of aluminium or baltic birch plywood. I wouldn't think it would be a difficult job.
    Heck you could even handhold it and save the wieght of a tripod.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    A simple hobo style box camera with helical focusing dedicated to your 210mm lens. You can make an offset drilled lensboard to supply limited movements.
    Rob the helical off an old plastic Graflex and the back from your B&J. Make a box out of aluminium or baltic birch plywood. I wouldn't think it would be a difficult job.
    Heck you could even handhold it and save the wieght of a tripod.
    Good idea!

If you can find an old Rochester Optical Company King 8x10, they weigh only 5lbs and have 24+inch extension. Front R/F and tilt, rear tilt and swing, no shift. Extremely compact and lightweight. My favorite for backpacking. I had to replace the bellows and chisel out a groove for the rib lock on modern holders.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    When I go out in the field with my "heavy" Tachihara triple extension camera plus lenses plus holders plus backpack plus tripod plus .....etc, etc, I'm carrying about 26 kilograms. If the camera weighed nothing the total comes to 21 kilograms. A lightweight camera is worth searching for but the gain is small compared to the rest of the gear.
    But, there is a domino effect. A lighter camera can mean a lighter tripod and tripod head. A more compact camera, can mean a smaller, lighter pack to carry it in, etc. It all adds up.

When I was doing a lot of backpacking, I seriously looked at everything in my kit, both camera gear and camping gear. I cut over 10 pounds from my 4x5 kit (lighter camera, lighter tripod/ballhead, smaller pack, etc.) and over 24 pounds off my total pack weight (from 65 pounds to 41). I saved 1/2 pound on filters. It may not sound like much, but that kind of scrutiny of every item adds up to big weight savings. Which means covering more ground in less time and having more energy at the end of the day to devote to photography.

Kerry

Some comments on "lightweight" 8x10 . . .

I use the third-lightest Gowland: it has an 8x10 rail and the 32" bellows. (Peter said he made 2 of them. I've always wondered where the other one is.)

I find that the weight of the camera is not the big problem with 8x10, and I would just look for any field camera in the 12lb./5.5kg (or less) weight range. Holders weigh a ton, and I only carry four of them. Plus the equipment is big, and even my backpack is relatively heavy.

I have not been successful in using a lightweight tripod with my 8x10. I went back to the giant aluminum Manfrotto after some vibration issues with CF pods. Even with short lenses you've got a lot of cantilever going on with an 8x10.

You might be able to get away with something like a Hobo if you're really using a 210mm as your main lens, as few 210s have big image circles on 8x10. Or a Kodak 2D--no front tilt but very lightweight.