Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Booster Probe I...what meter(s) is this compatible with?

Sinar Booster Probe I...what meter(s) is this compatible with?

Hello,

There seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there with regards to this probe that
    was manufactured by Sinar back a number of years ago.

My understanding of it is that it doesn't work directly with the current Broncolor FCM2
    without some sort of an adapter. I called SinarBron and was told that they don't have
    this adapter available any longer. So, does anyone know where I can access one of
    these adapters? Or does someone have one for sale?

Alternatively, does anyone have any "first-hand knowledge" of what other meters it is
    compatible with? In other words, I'd be interested in hearing from owners of this
    probe exactly what meter they're using with this specific probe, ie: Minolta IV-F, V,
    Sekonic 508 etc.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Henry,

As I recal there were a few variants of the Sinar booster probe and the model will determine what other device it connects with.

Sinar FCM Booster - was designed specifically for use with the Broncolor FCM meter. It is essentially a straight probe with a simple sliding switch on the underside.

Sinar Booster 1 - has a large plastic 'handle' which houses a sliding switch and was made to be used in conjunction with Minolta meters fitted with the appropriate jack.

Sinar Expolux Booster - another model with a plastic 'handle' and made for use in conjunction with the Expolux Monitor and Expolux Shutter.

In practice they are very useful devices. Because the probe fits a slot IN FRONT OF the ground glass the measuring aperture is always seen in relation to a sharp image on the screen. Earlier attempts at this by Gossen necessitated a darkslide type holder to be inserted be inserted and the ground-glass was shifted back resulting in an out of focus image.

It is essential to use some sort of black-out for the viewfinder to afford accurate readings, That is why the Sinar binocular viewers and so forth have the flap to close the viewing partal.

"arlier attempts at this by Gossen necessitated a darkslide type holder to be inserted be inserted and the ground-glass was shifted back resulting in an out of focus image."

Not quite.

The probe and the cassette were made by Prontor and were also used by Sinar. This probe worked with the Lunasix or Lunapro series of meters. It was available as the Prontor Probe up to the mid 90s.

Hi,

Thanks to all of you for your information.

Walter... the cassette you're referring to went into the same location as a film holder. They use to come with a Lunasix meter and the probe was permanently attached to the meter. However, I don't believe these were flash compatible. They were used only for ambient light readings. I used one of these units when I was shooting with a Technika.

Bob, are you saying that the Gossen Lunasix/LunaPro Meters are compatible with the Sinar Booster Probe I? Secondly, are the Lunasix/LunaPro meters useable with flash? Or, are they strictly ambient light meters?

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

"are you saying that the Gossen Lunasix/LunaPro Meters are compatible with the Sinar Booster Probe I"

If that is the proper name for the original Sinar probe system then yes. If this is the name of a probe after the original one you would have to ask Sinar.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info... yes, it is labelled as a Sinar Booster Probe I.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Mine works with the Minolta IV There's a plug on the left of the dome swivel head. (It's right ear) I think it will opperate with the Minolta III as well. Manual ref.

If you havn't as yet got one of these probes be aware that it's about the most fragile device you'll ever come across and repair is out of the question. Strictly studio only!
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either daring adventure or nothing: Helen Keller.

Hi Otzi,

Thanks for the info... yes, I already have one and it sits in the studio.

I have the Minolta V but am leaning towards going back to a more standard (meaning non-digital) model. I guess I'll have to look for a Minolta III.

When I plug mine into the V, the readings are extremely low, if at all...especially if the lens is stopped down to any degree. I'm usually using either 1600 or 3200 w/s flash on a table top subject. I'd think that should be more than sufficient lighting to get a reading. But, it isn't... Frustrating!

But, that's the joys of LF photography in the studio.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Henry, I have the hand book for this thing. If you are stuck I can type out the relevant bits if you want. Mail direct. -- otzi
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either daring adventure or nothing: Helen Keller.

Hi Otzi,

Thanks for the kind offer... I have the manual somewhere in my files. It's just a matter of me digging through my desk and locating it.

If I can't locate it... I'll send you a note.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!