Thread: Linhof Roll Back

Linhof Roll Back

Linhof Roll Back

Hi, I have acquired a Linhof monorail and as I am very much a new boy on the Large Format scene I hope my questions are not too naive.

I have a Linhof 6 x 9 roll back which, while it seems to function OK, has seen considerable service, it has number under the lid 6655 followed by an N. Can I still get spare parts for this ? This is probably a simple question but I am asking from New Zealand so I do not have your guys USA local knowledge.

To those of you who are kind to answer Thank You.

Rob Hale

Linhof Roll Back

If your back is a Linhof "Rollex", then it is too old for parts to be available. The "Super Rollex" roll film backs are still made, so parts should be available. At least cosmetically, there have been several versions of the Super Rollex backs -- I don't know if some parts have changed, and if so, whether the older parts are available.

Why not try asking the Linhof distributer or authorized repair center for your country?

Linhof Roll Back

I have the sam back and it has a minor quirk. It uses a set munber of turns to adavance the film, which works fine if your film is the correct thickness. If it is thinner than what the back was built for, such as all Fuji films I have tried in it, then your spacing will be off and the frams will touch. A simple fix for me is to advance the film one extra turn before closing the back. This makes the takup spool a bit thicker and the spacing is then fine.

Linhof Roll Back

The early Rollex'es had a number of issues to look out for. By the way: the rollex'es have nob-wind, the Super-Rollex lever-wind & nicer shaped body + much more inportant: improved film-flatness & spacing (discussed by earlier post). The flatness issue derives from the narrov roller the film is winded around. On theSuper Rollex, it's about 3 times larger in dia. Have a look for sharpness in corners to se if everything is OK. I am not shure if both formats (they were made in 6x6 & 6x9 at least, 6x7 being invented by Linhof later as Ideal format) is susceptible to sharpness-issue. There is no parts for them, major thing being a spring that is prone to failure. However, "prone" is probably not the word as many of these backs have rolled for 50 years - possibly 20 of them professionally - great equipment!