Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone using Lotus Field Camera?

Is anyone using Lotus Field Camera?

Can anyone share experience of using Lotus camera

Eric Biggerstaff

Re: Is anyone using Lotus Field Camera?

I will be interested to see the responses you get.

I had an opportunity to try one of these for a couple of outings several years ago and found the camera to be outstanding in most respects. The craftmanship is first rate and the camera seemed very solid and stable. I felt the controls were easy to locate when working under the darkcloth and were very smooth. The one I had those sort of funky knobs that stick a ways out from the camera body which was my only complaint and at that, it is a very minor one. If I recall correctly, Lotus was trying to get better distribution in the states but for some reason it did not happen. I actually inquired about becoming a distributor but the numbers of cameras I needed to purchase up front at the time was too great and then there was the issue of service, or lack of it, here.

I have not checked lately, but the price for these cameras became so high that it became sort of difficult to justify it when compared to other full featured cameras such as Canham or Ebony, I seem to recall they were priced even higher than Ebony a few years ago. Also, with quality Chinese cameras such as Chamonix the Lotus seemed a bit out of reach and the price was hard to justify (I am sort of looking for a new 5X7).

All this said, if I had a Lotus I would be a proud owner as it is a beautiful and high quality piece of equipment.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Scott Davis

Yeah- I think the big obstacle to their cameras is the relatively high cost coupled with the USD=Euro exchange rate. It was tolerable when the dollar was stronger than the Euro. Now that the Euro is about 1.35 USD, their prices are significantly non-competitive with Canhams. They might be close enough to Ebony in price to make it worth considering, especially in the custom ULF size range, but something like an 8x10 is just not reasonable.

That said, I have three of their film holders for my 14x17, and they are truly a work of art. Worth every penny the previous owner paid for them I contacted them about getting additional holders made and if memory serves, they were 550 Euro each (almost $800). I found two S&S holders that combined were less than the price of one Lotus.

Smile Re: Is anyone using Lotus Field Camera?

Thanks for sharing your valuable experience . I totally agreed with both of you on their price is comparatively high.

Never used one but a friend had one and I played around with it. Beautiful camera, ugly price.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

amazing how people wax nostalgic about products that are either non existent or so far out of reach for the average person...a camera is a box with a lens on it....it will not make better pix because it says wisner or ebony. if you want some REAL advise buy yourself a 8x10 Richard Ritter camera with a 5x7 reducing back...he is actively here; makes an amazingly light camera;best value for the buck...oh by the way there is and never will be THE perfect view camera but I guarantee if you try Richards you will buy it!!
    have a great day and go make pictures Eric B!!!!
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    More of a problem if students or friends are using the camera, not so much if it is you alone.
    Indeed. I have found self–flagellating tantrums to nearly always be less of a problem if you are alone. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!! (Also, the best reason for not sharing your darkroom ).

Quote Originally Posted by peter schrager View Post
    amazing how people wax nostalgic about products that are either non existent or so far out of reach for the average person...a camera is a box with a lens on it....it will not make better pix because it says wisner or ebony. if you want some REAL advise buy yourself a 8x10 Richard Ritter camera with a 5x7 reducing back...he is actively here; makes an amazingly light camera;best value for the buck...oh by the way there is and never will be THE perfect view camera but I guarantee if you try Richards you will buy it!!
    have a great day and go make pictures Eric B!!!!
    Peter
    While a camera is, when reduced to its simplest form, a box with a lens on it there are many factors that distinguish one box from another and that make one box preferable for some people to use than other boxes. And some of those factors - e.g. stability, movements, precision - may very well lead to better "pix."

How do you define the "average person" for whom some products are out of reach?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Drew Wiley

I love delrin gears - they're very smooth and more durable than brass. Sinar has used them
    for years, and I've never had an issue, even when just about everything else wore out.
    Don't confuse Delrin with cheap nylon. And Peter - I've got not regrets buying an Ebony
    either. They might all just be cardboard boxes - but some are sure put together better than others, and not all cardboard is the same!

If your Super Cub augers into Mindenhall Glacier and youre freezing your tail off, you can always build a warming fire with a 'dorff. Try doing that with a Sinar! LOL!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White