Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod head for Toyo 810 - sinar pan tilt or ...?

Tripod head for Toyo 810 - sinar pan tilt or ...?

I am new to 8x10. I have a heavy 8x10 camera (Toyo 810M), 7 kg. I'm working with 300 and 600mm lens. I'd like to have as sturdy as possible platform. Now I screw the camera directly to the tripod plate of my old Manfrotto, but I need something like pan tilt head.

Is Sinar pan tilt head strong enough for this camera?

Another option is Ries (double) tilt head, but it doesn't have pan.

I was also looking at Gitzo low profile head G1570. It is specified for 10 kg, is it enough?

Are there any other solid and not too heavy solutions? What would you reccomend? I am not fan of ballheads.

Ambroz

Re: Tripod head for Toyo 810 - sinar pan tilt or ...?

I have the identical camera and Bogen 410 tripod and use the 229 Super Pro with the quick release plate and it does the job exceptionally well. The for and aft visual bubble levels along with the the stability it is just great. Right now it is on sale at B&H. I had to look at the model because I have the older 3039 model but they are the same unit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2012-05-19 at 8.30.40 AM.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	73863

I'm a big fan of the Sinar head with Sinar cameras, but in this instance, I'd go with the G1570. I have an earlier version which I've used with 8x10 cameras. It worked fine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by davisg2370 View Post
    I use the Manfrotto 229 Super Pro head for my 8x10. I found an old stock 4x4 inch (100x100mm) Manfrotto plate that supports the camera better than the hexagon plate. The head is very sturdy and holds the camera rock steady.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    I have the identical camera and Bogen 410 tripod and use the 229 Super Pro with the quick release plate and it does the job exceptionally well. The for and aft visual bubble levels along with the the stability it is just great. Right now it is on sale at B&H. I had to look at the model because I have the older 3039 model but they are the same unit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2012-05-19 at 8.30.40 AM.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	73863
    +1

I use the 229 with the large 4" plate for my Toyo 810G, which is heavier than the M, at around 9kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    +1

+1

I use the 229 with the large 4" plate for my Toyo 810G, which is heavier than the M, at around 9kg.
    Is there a larger plate that can be utilized with this head? Please tell me more as I am interested in this option.....

Afaik, the 4" plate with hex attachment is the largest that will fit the 229 head.
    They are no longer made, so finding one may take some time.

Quote Originally Posted by davisg2370 View Post
    I, to have the 4 inch plate. I was lucky enough to find one in a store as NOS, but I keep an eye put on ebay for a second one. I like that it gives a larger support platform for the camera without the need for an adapter to the head. It was called the 030L plate.
    What a shame that they have been discontinued. I could use one and never knew that this accessory existed until now.

But it does!

I recently picked up the Bogen/Manfrotto 4" plate from Samy's Camera in LA. It was $30 + $6 shipping. I may have got their last one. It was NOS and the packaging was very shopworn, but the contents were perfect.

That plate only fits Bogen/Manfrotto heads that use the hex plate. It won't fit the smaller heads, but you wouldn't need it for those applications anyway. The 4" plate comes with both the 3/8" and 1/4" center attachment screws. I use it with a 3039 head (older version of the 229) and it's rock solid for field cameras with a wide, flat mounting location.

I don't know if you can find them anywhere at their original ~$30 price, but at $45 or so one would be a worthwhile upgrade if you're using a large Bogen/Manfrotto head.
    Last edited by Mike Bates; 20-May-2012 at 11:45.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by ambroz View Post

Quote Originally Posted by civich View Post
    But it does!
    I believe this is only true when using it in unison with Ries tripods. You need the release knob under the crown of a Ries tripod to facilitates the pan action with a Ries Head.

If the Ries Double Tilt Head is used on say a Gitzo 401 w/ a non spinning center column. Well, your out of luck as far as Panning goes w/ a Ries Single or Double Tilt Head.